Electric static shocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Might be in the wrong forum but I keep getting little shocks when I exit the car when I touch the bodywork.

I think it is static electric but it is not very nice to be zapped all the time. :(

Do you think this is a fault with the car or is there something I can do to stop it. :?:

Sponsored Links
Are your clothes woven from natural or artificial fibres?

It's usually generated when you slide across the seat, you then feel the shock when you get out. The simple solution to a pain free exit is to hold onto the door as you get out. The static discharges painlesly through your shoes.

Regards - JB

It's usually generated when you slide across the seat, you then feel the shock when you get out. The simple solution to a pain free exit is to hold onto the door as you get out. The static discharges painlesly through your shoes.

I'll second that

Sponsored Links
This hasn't always worked for me in the past, but thankfully, I haven't had this trouble recently!

so why does it only happen in summer?

:cool: :rolleyes: ;)

I thought it was the dry air blowing across your car, building up static on the car's bodywork, and your body provides a path to earth when you get out and close the door.

Thanks guys.

My clothes I think are all man made ie cotton and not wool.

I'll try holding the door and stepping out of the car and see if that works.
I did find that as I got out of the car and then touched the bodywork was when it always occurred.

btw i belive you can get sprays for carpets that help reduce static buildup, not sure where you get them though.

plugwash said:
btw i belive you can get sprays for carpets that help reduce static buildup, not sure where you get them though.

You'd think carpet shops would have discovered this by now! (for use in their own showrooms. i HATE carpet shops :evil: )

I seem to remember reading somewhere about an incident in Australia where the static build-up on a nylon carpet fitted in a new hotel actually caused a fire! That one must have taken some working out.

Re static from the car, either touch the bodywork before you get out - and keep hanging on - or fit one of those straps that hangs down and earths the car for you - or dangle a bit of T+E off the bodywork!
;)

I've got a dangly strap, don't think it helps. I hold on to the door latch as I get out.

Rubber-soled shoes make it worse, but leather soled shoes earth you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back