Static Shock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just out of interest (leading from the topic about chrome face plates):

Can someone explain how a static shock happens? I have never experienced it apart from when I owned one car (a Peugeot 405 diesel, if that makes any difference). Every time I got out of the car and touched the door to shut it, I got a "jolt". It's never happened to me before, nor has it happened since I changed the car. I presume it was an electrical fault with the vehicle, but what exactly?

Sponsored Links
I during wet weather I get shocks everytime I get out of my car and close the door. Doesn't happen to anyone else with my car.

What is interesting, is that I find computers spontaneously crash relatively often when I use them, compared to others I know. So, perhaps I walk in a particular way that causes static build up!

My mentor at work told me that his father couldn't wear a digital watch as for some reason they would always go on the fritz after he had worn them. :confused:

If you keep getting zapped at work, or if you keep crashing your computer, consider wearing a wrist strap with a wire connected to an electrical "ground."

Great webpage... turns out I'm not some kind of Uri Geller type! Wahoo!

breezer said:

Cheers for that Breezer, but I read the article and I'm still not sure why only one car has this effect on me, except possibly the seat material? Or is there still a chance there was an electrical fault with the vehicle?

Sponsored Links
I used to have the same problem on my SAAB 900. Every time I got out the car, as I closed the door, I'd get a dirty great belt of it. If I let the passenger get out first, they got the shock. My first theory was that static was being generated by the tyres on the road surface. (wrong)

I was also getting a lot of missfiring during damp weather. Turned out that the HT lead ran under (and up against) the bonnet, and was charging the bodywork up as I drove along! I re-routed the lead (didn't even replace it), and sorted it all out.

Surprisingly, I actually missed my daily "fix", as I quite enjoy a good zap now and again. (my wife thinks I'm weird). I don't know anyone else that enjoys them, so perhaps I am in a minority. I got hooked at school, playing with Vandergraph Generators. Puttin your finger in the end of a pizo electric lighter can have a similar effect, but nothing like as good.

I've found that if you wear leather soled shoes in Lakeside Shopping centre, run and do a skid (like kids do on icy pavements) and then touch one of their metal hand rails, you can get a lovely jolt. I've even managed to light a gas lighter using this technique! You do get some rather pequliar looks though. :)

TexMex said:
I quite enjoy a good zap now and again. (my wife thinks I'm weird).
Really? I wonder why??

TexMex said:
I've even managed to light a gas lighter using this technique! You do get some rather pequliar looks though.
Really? I wonder why??

Time for this again:

leccy2.gif

The stats surrounding refuelling fires on that link are interesting. The figures are much higher in spring and winter and lower in summer & the fall.

Interestingly, one human and one dog died in these refuelling fires caused by static.

This happened, at least once, in Forumula one in the long distant past. That's why they have earthing strips in the pit lane now. When you see them pull up for refulling, you'll see the two springy earthing rods sticking up out of the ground where they park.

mm.. I wonder if that's what inspired scalextric?

Ah, you mean when F1 was exciting !! That kept 'em out of the blasted pits .... Only reason they use them now is to allow other teams to lead the GP for even a short while .. believe it, quite an enhancement to prize money ..

Static .. now and again from Nissan ... attire I am thinking.
Inflate a balloon, rub on hair, wet tongue bring close to balloon - zappo !

P

ninebob said:
Just out of interest (leading from the topic about chrome face plates):

Can someone explain how a static shock happens? I have never experienced it apart from when I owned one car (a Peugeot 405 diesel, if that makes any difference). Every time I got out of the car and touched the door to shut it, I got a "jolt". It's never happened to me before, nor has it happened since I changed the car. I presume it was an electrical fault with the vehicle, but what exactly?
Seems like a job for Doctor Static ! yes there is actually a cosultant out there going by that name who is an authority on the subject, he was employed by a previous firm i worked for but unfortunately his advice wasn't practical in the end.

A tip for when you are all getting out of the car. A friend told me to hold on to the top of the door as I get out and don't let go until you are standing with your two feet on the ground. It worked for me.

In which case they don't need to turn back and close the door, thus getting a shock as they conduct the potential between car and road. :D

I can see what you mean TexMex. It's a lot of fun for me too when I'm watching the poor unfortunate individual who is on the receiving end it but its me .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back