Shock from a kettle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just moved house and twice we’ve had a shock from a kettle. The kettle is cordless with a plastic base and chrome sides and the shock happened when you push the plastic switch down to turn the kettle on and then touch the chrome side. It feels like a powerful static shock, but I’ve not been able to recreate it even by rubbing my feet on a carpet! It never happened in the old house. I can replace the kettle, but I’m concerned there could be a fault with the house electrics. It’s an old fuseboard which has MCBs but no RCDs, but I’m just wondering whether there are any checks I could do – I do have a voltmeter. I assume that if there was a fault wouldn’t the earth take any current to ground or could it just be static?

Sponsored Links
You need to check the wiring in the kettle, particularly the earth wires, and

then the earth in the socket and that it is actually connected to and earth somewhere.

Deos the kettle do it on other sockets on different circuits?

See this thread to test:
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/confirming-continuity-of-earth.510450/

Thanks for the reply. I've not tried it on any other socket, but it's happened so infrequently I'm not sure whether it's worthwhile. I will do some of the tests referred in the thread.

Sponsored Links
Since kettle did not trip RCD in old house, it would seem likely you have a wiring fault which could impact on more than the kettle, although you could buy RCD adaptors for every socket, it would seem prudent to get an electrical installation condition report (EICR) which should always be done with change of occupant.

Put your voltmeter on volts and measure between the kettle case and things like a metal washing machine, tap or even the visible earth metal or a screw of a plug socket, be careful though, if in doubt STOP using kettle.

I had a report of sparks coming off the hook of a tower crane, it turned out to be wind generated static, nothing to do with power used to work the crane, however it was still fully investigated, we did not say Oh it's likely static and continue drinking tea.

We have just moved house and twice we’ve had a shock from a kettle. The kettle is cordless with a plastic base and chrome sides and the shock happened when you push the plastic switch down to turn the kettle on and then touch the chrome side. It feels like a powerful static shock, but I’ve not been able to recreate it even by rubbing my feet on a carpet! It never happened in the old house. I can replace the kettle, but I’m concerned there could be a fault with the house electrics. It’s an old fuseboard which has MCBs but no RCDs, but I’m just wondering whether there are any checks I could do – I do have a voltmeter. I assume that if there was a fault wouldn’t the earth take any current to ground or could it just be static?
You stated
"the shock happened when you push the plastic switch down to turn the kettle on and then touch the chrome side."
When did the "shock" happen? On pushing the plastic switch or on touching the chrome side?
You also wrote
"It feels like a powerful static shock, but I’ve not been able to recreate it even by rubbing my feet on a carpet! "

If you cannot recreate the "shock" immediately (without moving your location) under the same conditions then it IS a "static electrical shock".
(A "static" electrical shock would be dissipated in an instant. However, any "fault" which produces a "Mains" derived electric shock would continue, again and again.)

I do have a great deal of difficulty in explaining to my partner that her receiving a "shock" when turning around in her chair to turn off an Earthed metal standard lamp is not a fault in the lamp but the "static" electricity produced by her wearing certain synthetic winter clothing.
Her obstinate reaction to my suggestion to repeat the action without significant movement involving rubbing against clothing or upholstery is usually along the lines of "I have been hurt once so I will not try it again."

Once upon a time, I worked in a new office building where the combination of the carpet on the floor and the soles of my shoes caused a "static" build-up, which was discharged through my finger tip whenever I pressed the Lift Button.
I soon learned to either use the ring on my finger to do the pressing of the button or use a key to do it, so that the small discharge involved would not be felt as a small "pin-prick" on the tip of my finger.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back