Confirming continuity of earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m replacing some of my light switches with metal face plates, before I do I’d just like to confirm the continuity of the earth to the back box.

I don’t have the equipment or expertise to perform a full continuity test from the CU so I just wondered if there is anyway I can do this for the purpose of the individual switches, I.e use my multimeter to check the resistance between the live and ground with the circuit turned off or if I need to call the experts in.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I.e use my multimeter to check the resistance between the live and ground with the circuit turned off or if I need to call the experts in.
Not live and ground.

There should be continuity between Neutral wire and the Circuit Protective Conductor (Earth wire), or

between the CPC in the light switch and the CPC in a nearby socket (the socket screw if metal).

Not 100% verification but probably good enough.

Is there an earth block with green and yellow wires near the consumer unit? You can use this with a long wire without having to enter the consumer unit.

OK, great. Thanks for the response. I’ve no reason to suspect there wouldn’t be continuity but we’ve just moved in and with kiddies running around want to be doubly sure.

Cheers

I should have said -

if you turn of the Main Switch or Two pole RCDs that will disconnect the Neutrals from Earth so just turn off the MCBs.

Sponsored Links
There should be continuity between Neutral wire and the Circuit Protective Conductor (Earth wire) ....
I think that will only work (or, at least, work reliably) with a TN-C-S supply (and, as you subsequently noted, with the Main Switch 'on'). With TN-S or TT, there will usually be a PD between neutral and CPCs, and that will almost certainly screw up any attempt to use a meter to measure resistance/continuity between them.

Kind Regards, John

A majority of premises have an Exposed external earth bar or some piece of exposed metal part of the electrical installation near the meter, unless the house is massive just use some old wire as a wander lead and use your meter on continuity, will give you a basic idea

Thanks for the responses guys. Novice question here but would measuring the voltage between the L1 and CPC not give an indication that there was continuity of the CPC, I.e should show 240v approx. If the CPC was not connected it would show 0V?

It’s not a reliable method.
It depends on what you are measuring it with. Digital multimeters can pick up stray/induced voltages and make you think something is there, when it isn’t.

Resistance measurement between a known earth and the circuit’s earth/cpc is the way to do it.

I’d just like to confirm the continuity of the earth to the back box.

Metal faced switched should have an "Earth" terminal on the switch and the CPC should be taken to this terminal to ensure the faceplate is earthed. Important if the switch is loosened from the back box for any reason.

A short lead from the back box Earth terminal to the front plate Earth terminal will earth the back box,

Ok, thanks all.

The CU doesn’t appear to have an exposed earth so for simplicity’s sake I’ll test resistance between the switches CPC and an adjacent plug sockets earth.

Thanks

The CU doesn’t appear to have an exposed earth so for simplicity’s sake I’ll test resistance between the switches CPC and an adjacent plug sockets earth.
That's not actually a foolproof way to do it. Although unlikely, several, maybe all, of the accessories (switches, sockets etc.) could have their CPCs (correctly) connected together but without any of them actually being connected to earth.

Without test equipment which you won't have, I don't think that any 'resistance' measurements could totally prove that the CPCs were actually connected to an effective earth. Although others may disagree, ironically I think that your own suggestion (measure voltage between L and CPC) is perhaps the 'most reliable' thing you could do. Whilst, as TTC says, a digital meter can pick up and indicate stray voltages from a wire which is 'connected to nothing', the voltage you see due to that will be nowhere near 230/240V - so I would say that a measured L-CPC voltage of around 230/240V would provide a reasonable indication that the CPC was actually connected to earth.

Kind Regards, John

Haha, too many options. Thanks Jon.

Another option, isolating power to CU, connecting lighting ring phase to CPC at CU and them testing resistance between L and CPC at switch???

Another option, isolating power to CU, connecting lighting ring phase to CPC at CU and them testing resistance between L and CPC at switch???
[before someone else points this out, your lighting circuit is almost certainly not a 'ring'].

Once you'd got the CU open, you might as well just use a 'long lead' to measure continuity between the CPC at the CU and the CPC at the switch - but what you suggest would achieve the same, and might be more convenient. However, that will again only prove that the CPC at the switch is connected to the CU, not necessarily that it is connected to an (effective) earth. As I've said, that could only be proven with an electrician's test gear - but, as I also said, finding 230/24V between L and CPC at the switch would be a reasonable 'secondary' method of 'confirming' an actual connection to earth (after initially doing the resistance measurement).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back