Confirming continuity of earth

Sponsored Links
Yup but do t have the equipment to induce an ac current and test the impedance so this will have to do!

Yup but do t have the equipment to induce an ac current and test the impedance so this will have to do!
I think there may be a little confusion here. As you've been told, in the context we are talking about, impedance and resistance are, as near as makes no difference, identical - so the resistance measurements you have undertaken are perfectly OK in terms of confirming satisfactory connection of the CPCs etc. within your house..

What you do not have the equipment to do is to test the impedance of the entire 'fault loop', which includes the impedance of the earth (external to your house).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks, I understand the difference between the two. Resistance is dc, impedance ac. Anyways like I said happy!

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I understand the difference between the two. Resistance is dc, impedance ac.
Yes, that's more-or-less right.

In fact impedance (which is what 'impeded' the flow of AC current) is a combination of two elements - resistance (exactly the same resistance that would be relevant if the current were DC (i.e. as you have measured) and reactance. The latter will be nearly zero for cables/conductors in a domestic 50Hz AC installation - so, as has been said, impedance would (numerically) be essentially identical to the resistance (such as one would measure using DC).

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back