help

the water is overflowing from the tank in the loft it is and it is now refiiling up as we speak i want to turn off the mains but hubby wants to see what is going on it is a plastic tank and it has filled up and reached the ball valve and is now slowing right up

Sponsored Links
Persist with the 'stiff' tap - if you can isolate the water coming in you won't have to worry about it re-filling.

Use something as a lever on the tap to make it easier to turn.

paulaolley said:
what will happen when it refills back up both at work tomorrow and we are pretty useless as you can read

Leave the water off if u cant find the stopcock/gate vale located at the cold water cistern.

Look and see why u think the cold water cistern is overflowing, u could top this up in the meantime to supply the house *temporarily* with water.

Al

Sponsored Links
Turn the water off. It might have just been the ball-cock jamming, but I wouldn't chance leaving the water on until you get it properly checked.

it is full and it is not leaking since hubby cleaned around ballvalve heating is on we have had this problem before and hubby changed the ballvalve but it leaked progressivle from the overflow outside this time it just happened really quickly can it really be that simple that you just wipe around the ball cock etc and you have no further problems?

Yes, it can be as simple as the ball-cock jamming - but you need to be certain that it won't do it again.

If it leaked constantly through the over-flow (previously) then it was not adjusted correctly. I don't mean any offense, but if your hubbie wasn't sure how to adjust it, I would suggest that it is better to call someone in.

If you can tie some string around the arm of the ballcock and tie the string to something else( a nail or hook on a rafter for example) so that the flow of water into the tank stops the water will NOT start running again-Word of honour.
Unless the string snaps of course!

But i am a little confused. Is/was the water overflowing over the sides of the tank or just out of the overflow pipe outside the house?

it was leaking from both! hubby has done what you said the cold water tank was filling up really quickly what do you advice we do all has gone very quiet but the overflow outside is dripping both tanks in the loft are full

you cant offend us he didnt do it anyway a plumber did but I am going back about 6 years both have been replaced we havent had this problem for ages but it has happened before but not so severe that it comes through the ceiling

you have all gone quiet on me I hope you havent gone to bed I cant blame you really thats where I would like to be!

Thank you all for your help still cant shift the stopcock but can turn it off via outside so thats what I will do if it happens again I can't wait to call a plumber out tomorrow and get a huge bill that we can't afford to pay

Your only 'safe' option for the moment is to turn the water off and get someone out tomorrow to check on things :confused:

Good luck

PS Gangs of New York isn't that great anyway :)

Thanks Gary my crap day has just got crappier Ipswich beat Norwich today boo hoo hubby has man flu and is adamant he is going to sit up all night nad keep checking on the tanks - i think he is mental if its not bad enough being a norwich suppoorter i have to go to bed and worry myself sick

eek.gif

weep.gif

.......hubby has man flu and is adamant he is going to sit up all night nad keep checking on the tanks.....

Holland, wall, finger springs to mind
rofl.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back