Helping my Mam she's old and i'm confussed, Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

So my Mam has had a damp patch in her house. The damp patch was in the corner of a room. Figured out the course was and external brick garden wall was too close the house and the guttering was dripping into this cavity thus penetrating the brick and causing the damp. This has been sorted the wall has been chopped back and the wall has been allowed to dry. Water penetration no longer and issue.

Problem - see pic first

As you can see ive chopped the old plaster back which had blistered right back to the brick.

Question is the current render/plaster level from the brick is approx 16mm deep. Im quite good at plastering so just wanted to patch this rather then take off large amount of uneffected plaster. I was planning on just putting a board in then creating a joint channel in exisitng plaster then scrim/fill/plaster.

And finally... What is best way to hang plasterboard? Dab and dot? thin batterns and 9mm boarding? Do i need to paint the brick with dampcourse paint (although cause has been sorted.

My mate said i should just render and then plaster like the rest of wall. Advice please, id prefer to use boards though, cleaner.

Any help appreciated

Lee

Sponsored Links
What type of render and should i PVA wall first? Should i still use dampcourse paint? Whats the benefit of rendering?

What type of render and should i PVA wall first? Should i still use dampcourse paint? Whats the benefit of rendering?

As above - I would use render too, rather than plasterboard.
Scratch coat with waterproofer in it will help prevent any salts etc from previous damp working their way through. Leave 24 hours between scratch and the next coat (float coat I think) which you bring flush with the existing.
(Some info on the wiki in terms of render ratios, or search for old posts from archive).
Once render patch is cured/set, then a skim over the whole wall with multi-finish.
as internal work, diluted PVA may not hurt to help you control suction, but I think with render it is more usual to control the suction by wetting the wall only. I would not use a paint.

I would steer away from the plasterboard to patch, as it will lead to a mixture of materials on the wall - which may expand/contract at different rates and give you cracks later at the join (even with scrim tape applied).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back