Henry Hoover (hetty model) fault diagnosis? Any help please?

On the switch you have 4 tags. 2 blue 2 brown. The two blues should have a reading or continuity when switched either way. As the same with the Browns.

Sponsored Links
the only thing left is the pcb.
You need to put the 2 white wires from the motor direct to the on off switch. One either side one on brown one one blue. And disregard the pcb and the wires on that. look at the post re Henry below. That's wat needs to come out.
No you can't check without a tester. I've done hundreds of these and on my a couple have been on off switch. If you changed the plug and cut off 3 inches at the head end and rewired it back into the head the only thing left is the pcb. You need to put the 2 white wires from the motor direct to the on off switch. One either side one on brown one one blue. And disregard the pcb and the wires on that. look at the post re Henry below. That's wat needs to come out.

Can the Hoover operate without the PCB completely? There is no extra terminals for the white wire spades, I presume I will have to cut, crimp and join them with the blue and brown either side you mentioned?

Yes it will work without the the pcb. But the low speed won't. No need to cut or crimp the wires just pull off the old one and replace with the white ones. The rest of the wires attached to pcb are no good. Wait till you get a tester tomoz it might be the switch

So ill leave alone the main live + neutral. (brown and blue that are in individual terminals on the left if the pic, and feed from the head of the appliance)

One of the terminals on the on/off switch is doubled up. Which is a brown wire from the pcb into the on off, then looped into the high low switch. Will i remove that wire completely and attach the white wire from the motor to the on off switch terminal?

Attachments

• 20151114_171158.jpg
    20151114_171158.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 416
  • 20151114_171119.jpg
    20151114_171119.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 434
Sponsored Links
Where do I send the christmas card mate??

Removing the PCB and switch did the trick..

Thank you for taking the time to explain

Good stuff. Saves you buying a meter and another Hoover ,hetty lives on for a few more years. Them pcbs have been a problem for years. It blows a little triac on the board and you can't replace them.

Good stuff. Saves you buying a meter and another Hoover ,hetty lives on for a few more years. Them pcbs have been a problem for years. It blows a little triac on the board and you can't replace them.

It sure does. I don't mind paying for something when it's needed, but I like to have a go at fixing things first before condemning them. So I'm glad you were on hand to help me out.

I may still purchase a voltage/multi meter, as I'd like to improve my skills/knowledge on its usage and it may come in handy one day. (Could save a bit of initial guess work if anything was to go faulty again )

Regarding that then, whilst you are on the forum, could you possibly tell me how I would go about checking the continuity of the hoover's on / off switch?

Just put a continuity tester on the 2 live wires and as you switch on and off it will bleep for continuity and nothing when switched other way. Same with the neg side. But don't plug it in mains to test. You can check the cables with that tester as well. Just like a fuse tester you buy it shops, handy little gadget

78616. Tool station that's what you want. That's a light only , that means it lights up when it's got continuity. Or you can make one if you got a old buzzer battery and 2 leads. Then it will buzz instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back