Hep20 on thermo shower and..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Couple quick questions:

1. Is Hep20 ok to fit to my Crosswater, thermostatic shower?

2. Is it ok to just push a Hep fitting onto my existing copper pipe without inserts or protection?

Thank you for your time,
Wil

Sponsored Links
1. Yup, should be although it will restrict the flow a little bit over copper

2. If you've cut the pipe with a wheel cutter or pipeslice then yes, but if you've cut it with a hacksaw then you must deburr it first

2. Is it ok to just push a Hep fitting onto my existing copper pipe without inserts or protection?
No. Use a demountable (aka Acorn) Hep2o fitting, and disassemble it first - this will allow you to push the O ring gently over the pipe and ensure that it doesn't get nicked. Also, use only new copper tube. This is the only way to guarantee no leaks on the O ring seal.

No. Use a demountable (aka Acorn) Hep2o fitting, and disassemble it first - this will allow you to push the O ring gently over the pipe and ensure that it doesn't get nicked. Also, use only new copper tube. This is the only way to guarantee no leaks on the O ring seal.

hi mate, as my old copper pipe is coming from boiler I have connected hep20 to this directly.
I've heard from 2 different plumbers that its fine to put straight in, have you experienced where this is a problem?
I don't really want to be disassemble the pipes now, but if definately a must I will.
Cheers for help

Sponsored Links
hi mate, as my old copper pipe is coming from boiler I have connected hep20 to this directly.
This worries me slightly - what's the length of pipework between the boiler and the first plastic fitting?

I've heard from 2 different plumbers that its fine to put straight in, have you experienced where this is a problem?
Any fool can claim that it's fine to push copper into an O ring. I'm telling you how to eliminate the risks, not how to add them.

I don't really want to be disassemble the pipes now, but if definately a must I will.
I don't see the point of disassembling now that you've fitted it.

the hot and cold water pipe both have hep20 around 500mm from combi, what would be the issue here?
cheers

the hot and cold water pipe both have hep20 around 500mm from combi, what would be the issue here?
The issue is whether or not you're using plastic products within their design range of temperature and pressure.

Rather than us go round and round with questions and answers, it would be quicker if you could describe the first two metres of pipework and fittings coming away from the boiler, on the domestic hot water output, on the CH flow, and on the CH return.

Can't you just type the words? :confused:

For example, the HW flow from my boiler is:

300mm bent 28mm pipe
-> 28mm soldered elbow
-> 500mm 28mm copper pipe
-> 28mm soldered coupling
-> 28mm soldered obtuse bend
-> 200mm 28mm copper pipe
-> 28mm soldered elbow
-> 100mm 28mm copper pipe
-> cylinder connector

Hi Softus, sorry for delay, been really busy:

My HW flow from boiler
50mm of 22mm copper
22mm soldered elbow
400mm copper
90 degree bend
a few mm straight and this is where i've connected the Hep20

My CW from Boiler
50mm of 22mm copper
22mm soldered elbow
300mm copper
and i've connected hep20 here

Both Central heating Pipes
50mm of 28mm copper
28mm soldered elbow
500mm copper
1 bends around soil pipe, 1 has soldered elbow (not sure what is what)
100mm copper pipe
28mm soldered elbow
100mm copper with bend
28mm soldered elbow
after this I was going to connect Hep20 to attach to new towel rail.

is this ok? sorry if a bit confusing, i was confused myself! :confused:

cheers for help,

My HW flow from boiler
50mm of 22mm copper
22mm soldered elbow
400mm copper
90 degree bend
a few mm straight and this is where i've connected the Hep20
Hep2o within 500mm of the boiler, on the flow, is cause for concern.

Personally I wouldn't put it on the primary flow at all, although IIRC 1m is the recommended minimum.

Did you use Hep2o pipe, or fittings or both?
If pipe was it barrier pipe, and did you use the Hepworth sleeves?

My CW from Boiler
50mm of 22mm copper
22mm soldered elbow
300mm copper
and i've connected hep20 here
Does "CW mean "CH"? If so, then eek! :eek:

Both Central heating Pipes
50mm of 28mm copper
28mm soldered elbow
500mm copper
1 bends around soil pipe, 1 has soldered elbow (not sure what is what)
100mm copper pipe
28mm soldered elbow
100mm copper with bend
28mm soldered elbow
after this I was going to connect Hep20 to attach to new towel rail.
Still a bit close for my own personal liking.

Hi,
I used Hep2o fittings and barrier pipe, and if by sleeves u mean those metal inserts then yes i used them.

CW: cold water

bearing in mind that it is already done would you say that if i test it a few weeks (while my bathroom is opened up and in a state) and if its fine then ok?

Cheers

CW: cold water
Oh, OK.

bearing in mind that it is already done would you say that if i test it a few weeks (while my bathroom is opened up and in a state) and if its fine then ok?
Sorry, but I wouldn't say that. You won't find anyone who favours plastic more than I do, when it's used appropriately, but I suspect the manufacturer wouldn't support what you've done.

:confused:
so 1000mm would've been minimum?
I can't really do anything now, unless I take off and attach copper. Which would be a right pain for me.
Cheers for help anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back