Here's a question for you re: sentencing

I would sentence him to ...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Read the following article.
View the short video of the supermarket worker being kicked and punched by Josh McDonald.
Consider the injuries the victim received, including a fractured eye socket.
Count to ten, take a deep breath.
As rationally as you can muster, answer the poll question.
Don't automatically pick the longest sentence, consider what you think a reasonable term of imprisonment should be for such a crime.
Your poll selection relates to the minimum time you think he should serve prior to release being possible.

Sponsored Links
It's aggravated by the fact that it appears to be a social media stunt. However the MMA claims are over blown. Based on his performance he'd be done in 3 seconds from entering the cage.

3-4 years given the history.

Sponsored Links
where is the poll option for "being hunted down and given a good kicking"

everybody a gangsta until they got 2 broken arms

Oh, you left out the "Shoot Him" option.:mad:
Wilful, unprovoked, and she could have died.
He thinks it's his "playground" where he can do things to get followers.
I suppose he'll get a small number of years, but really the planet would be better off without him.

I've gone for ten, but on the condition they all serve the full 10.

I don't agree with this 'time off for good behaviour' business. If we transgressed at school we got the full discipline, be it detention, lines or corporal punishment. We were not allowed off detention early because we had been quiet, nor the number of lines reduced because we had done half of them, and the corporal punishment was six of the best by the gym/PE teacher. He didn't stop if you started/stopped crying after three!

(I admit to getting detention and lines. Never misbehaved badly enough to get caned).

I don't agree with this 'time off for good behaviour' business
It's to encourage them to keep their noses clean before and after release. Which is a sensible thing to want to do.

I think the max may be 5 years - GBH. And you do 2.5 inside before being released to serve the rest on licence. They don’t get 10 and only “do” 5.

One foot wrong and you are back inside.

My opinion: 10 years without any possibility of getting out early.
Barred from entering any contact sport facility or event for life, these people are an embarrassment for sport.
Confiscate everything they own to pay appropriate damages to the victims and asda.
Take their children away from them and give them up for adoption, don't ever let them see them again.
If left in their care, their children will become violent thugs.
Unfortunately none of this will happen.
At best they'll be out in a couple of months, even though, community service will be imposed to the less violent.

In an ideal world I would see them tied up in a room with their victims having a choice of tools to play with them.

I think the max may be 5 years - GBH. And you do 2.5 inside before being released to serve the rest on licence. They don’t get 10 and only “do” 5.

One foot wrong and you are back inside.
Just read that GBH can get prison sentences into the teens of years, but driving to knock over a police officer then drive over them was 9 years, - so it would be less than that.

----
There was a series on the box recently about long-term crims , looking in on their remission hearings. It was in some cases hard to decide whether they should be let out. They'd all been violent, or equally serious. Sadly, most of the ones who were let out, reoffended, including a couple I thought would be OK.
That set me to thinking of some of the army-test style programs they have on, where people are subjected to thoroughly unreasonable treatment but have tostay cool. If people can get through those and not kick off, they're probably safer to let out.

I don't agree with this 'time off for good behaviour' business. If we transgressed at school we got the full discipline, be it detention, lines or corporal punishment. We were not allowed off detention early because we had been quiet, nor the number of lines reduced because we had done half of them, and the corporal punishment was six of the best by the gym/PE teacher. He didn't stop if you started/stopped crying after three!

The purpose is to help ensure good behaviour, the alternative would be to increase the sentence for bad behaviour.

Thanks for the votes and posts, interesting to read the different views. Bear in mind my poll related to the minimum he would serve, so if you e.g. picked 10 years, that means you think he should serve a minimum of 10 before release.

I fully understand not everyone can be locked up for life, neither would that make sense. However what gets me about crimes such as this is it's perfectly possible the victim (in this case the supermarket worker) could be left with a lifetime of issues, whether metal or physical. Meanwhile, the perpetrator if such crimes usually serve a relatively short sentence, free to life the rest of their life unhindered.

Sponsored Links
Back