Hey Amir I got in to England illegally it was worth it !!!!

UK prisoners have solicitors/barristers to fight their corner for them.
Refugees have to do so alone, navigating the various regulations, agencies, etc without assistance in many cases.

Seriously? Please.

There is a whole industry offering good free legal and other advice to migrants and asylum seekers.

Well, its free to them. Someone else picks up the bill.

They get better access to free assistance than than most UK nationals.

I also recall that in the recent past, the official advisors [at border control?] were actually criticised for failing to ensure that these people claimed everything that was available to them.

In other news, workers have been told this week that they will need to work for longer and pay more for their retirement, because there won't be enough money in the pot in a few years.

Who's syphoning it all out I wonder?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
UK prisoners have solicitors/barristers to fight their corner for them.
Refugees have to do so alone, navigating the various regulations, agencies, etc without assistance in many cases.

Seriously? Please.

There is a whole industry offering good free legal and other advice to migrants and asylum seekers.

Well, its free to them. Someone else picks up the bill.

They get better access to free assistance than than most UK nationals.

I also recall that in the recent past, the official advisors [at border control?] were actually criticised for failing to ensure that these people claimed everything that was available to them.

In other news, workers have been told this week that they will need to work for longer and pay more for their retirement, because there won't be enough money in the pot in a few years.

Who's syphoning it all out I wonder?
First of all, woody, this "whole industry" is funded by charity. So, yes, someone picks up the bill, but the "whole industry" is not government funded. So your link between refugee legal advice and government funding is fallacious.
Just the first three 'agencies' that I found:
Asylum Aid is an independent, national charity working to secure protection for people seeking refuge in the UK from persecution and human rights abuses abroad
Refugee Council is a registered charity.
The Refugee Legal Centre is a Registered Charity
I could go on, but I think I've made my point on that.

Secondly the "whole industry" that you refer to consists of:
Our team provides legal representation and advice to asylum seekers through the work of three solicitors, three caseworkers and a Legal Triage Advisor.
Our advice line offers free one-off legal advice to asylum seekers, refugees, and individuals or organisations who work to support them. The advice line current operating hours are shown on the home page of this website.
Refugee Council can advise on rights and entitlements and the meaning of laws. We do not provide legal advice or legal representation,
So this "whole industry" is rather thin on the ground, struggling for resources and only offer advice. It is only at the appeal stage that representation is available.
Although the Refugee Legal Centre do claim to offer legal representation throughout the process, it is by no means always free:
Our services are free to those clients who are eligible under the Community Legal Help scheme. ..Please note that in accordance with our contract all cases are subject to a means and merit test.

In addition:
People who work with refugees and asylum seekers know that there is a mass of ever-changing practice and statute law
So your comments are seriously distorting the truth.

Yes there are many solicitors/lawyers etc working in the industry of representing clients in the process of naturalisation, immigration, etc, but these are funded by the sponsoring person or organisation who is already in the UK. It is mainly private work, not funded by government at all.

All the money we pay into NI is going to farm subsidies?
You are wrong to claim that all the money we pay in NI is going to foreigners.

Are you smoking prescription crack or buying it privately?

All the money we pay into NI is going to farm subsidies?
You are wrong to claim that all the money we pay in NI is going to foreigners.

Are you smoking prescription crack or buying it privately?

Please come up with your own bon mot and don't plagiarise mine, if you don't mind.

And try and add something too, it keeps things interesting. It might even make you interesting. You never know.

Who said "pedantic"?

Oh yes, you just did.

As you know, migrants pay more in taxes than they receive in benefits.

The drain on the Welfare State is older people not popping their clogs quickly enough, and lingering on at the expense of the taxpayer.

I could go on

Yes please do.

Please go on about legal aid funding, which you appear to have conveniently left out.

Please also go on about who picks up that bill, as surely
this "whole industry" is funded by charity.
is not quite correct is it?
Sorry woody, you've been listening to the urban mythology peddled by jock, fender, mitch, et al.
Since about 2000 the government have been reducing the legal aid funding available. To such an extent that by 2010 :
The ministry seeks to assure us that legal aid will continue to be provided ‘in cases where a litigant's life is at stake, or involves the loss of liberty, homelessness, physical harm, or in cases involving children being taken into care.’
http://www.irr.org.uk/pdf2/IRR_Briefing_No.7.pdf

Additionally, legal aid requires two criteria to be met: resources of the client and merit of the application.
Moreover, if legal aid is so easily available, how come there is a need for charities to fill the gap?
Removal of immigration cases from the scope of legal aid is the culmination of ten years of government cuts in this field, which have already had devastating effects.....
Because of the decade of cuts we have described above, a large and increasing proportion of asylum seekers are forced to present their own appeals. And many detainees have to represent themselves on applications for bail. Voluntary organisations have responded by providing what help they can – for example Bail for Immigration Detainees (BID), which was set up in 1998, has a pool of young solicitors and barristers who provide free representation on bail applications, but such is the volume of demand that it has produced a guide for detainees on how to make their own bail applications.

you've been listening to the urban mythology peddled by

I don't get my info from here, and I don't need to find random quotes off the internet regarding legal aid. Thanks.

Suffice to say, it's available to any asylum seeker that wants it. And to any migrant that wants to be an asylum seeker.

The charities "fill the gap" for the stuff that is not covered by legal aid. Such as the housing and benefit forms.

Who said "pedantic"?

Oh yes, you just did.

As you know, migrants pay more in taxes than they receive in benefits.

The drain on the Welfare State is older people not popping their clogs quickly enough, and lingering on at the expense of the taxpayer.

Yeh fookin old people (who have paid in all their life, served their country faithfully) givin the lovely immigrants a bad name. You tell it JD, you patriot you.

Well said sir (y)
Why don't you give it a pop, Gasbag? You know, try writing something classy for a change instead of the usual infant school dross.
So many times in life I've seen people accuse others of what they themself practise. You're a typical example show me a post you've posted that's classy usually it's just inaccurate juvenile jibes.
Explain to me why post on threads you find boring I don't get why you waste your time reading and posting on them.

Sponsored Links
Back