Hi All, Newbie Here in midst of extension

Anyway, whilst i took my time tiling the fitter had completed his job...

The finished result and I have to add it was my own design based on my requirements..

The glass cabinets will be lit as will the TV with a backlit LED type arrangement

Sponsored Links
Having grouted and tiled above the TV unit which I may add was a little easier that I expected, the next thing was to paint the walls whilst awaiting the dining room furniture

I actually really like the reveal left white and this is house it will remain as it works well with the doors and TV unit

Sponsored Links
Ive missed out the fact that I finished the grouting in the bathroom too so thats another job complete and today we had a gentleman around to measure up for electric roller blind for the bi fold doors and new bedroom & bathroom which we were more than happy with the price and subsequently chose the material and they will be fitted on 16th May.

Final little job for the day was fitting the articulated TV bracket to make sure all was well with the position etc...

So, thats it for the moment....

Next up will be the electrician popping over to put all the power and lighting into the TV unit
Fitting the skirting and architrave
Fitting of a fire door to finally close off the rear extension
Plumber will be fitting the plinth heaters
Collect the sofa that has hopefully arrived in Southampton from Asia (due 05/05/16) as I purchased it in Singapore and having it shipped over.
Fix all the bathroom unit in place and fit the doors etc

the list just goes on and on :mrgreen: You just don't realise how much there is to do when your doing it on your own o_O

For now.... Thanks for your interest in my little DIY project

Went through the whole post - brilliant to see the before, during and 'almost' after - well done and it looks amazing!

Went through the whole post - brilliant to see the before, during and 'almost' after - well done and it looks amazing!

Thank you hansPulesh, there's a long way to go yet :mrgreen:

I'm usually only home for 10 days of the month so the work only continues when I'm there.

By the end of May I hope the rear extension will be complete & the bathroom.

The next steps will be to knock through into the existing house
Rip out the old bathroom ready for replastering and building inbuilt wardrobes
Finish front bedroom off, skirting architrave, painting, door
Tile the rear patio & lay artificial grass on the Eco grids I have bought
Rip up the front drive & grass and prep for new drive.

This thread will be continuing for sometime :D:D

Busy week this week but not with work on the house ha ha, well sort of, continuing along the theme of researching, buying tools and hardware and attempting parts of this project I've never down before.

So having followed advice from members on here I purchased an evolution Rage sliding mitre saw to help with projects to do this week and for those I have planned for the future.

First was fitting the skirting and architrave

Worked out better than I thought but then had to do the boring bit... sanding dow, priming, sanding again, etc

The plumber came in to fit the plinth heaters and they are all connected up now.

The electricians have been in too, I had to board and plaster a small wall in the garage so they could position the Velux and UFH sockets, luckily it dried out quickly enough to get a mist coat on there too.

They also fitted all the power sockets in the TV unit. The only thing left is the rear extension is back lighting and 2 spotlights to be fitted.

Also, I tested out the underfloor heating and was very impressed with how warm the room was after a couple of hours and the floor was lovely and warm. It was the first time it had been turned on since the room was tiled so the floor had well and truly all dried out.

I needed to start using up the plasterboard and insulation, if only to make some room in the garage, so had arranged for building regs to pop over to make sure he was happy with the amount of insulation before I could start boarding out the ceiling

The blinds we have ordered were made up and the bathroom and front bedroom were fitted.

The fitter started on the ones for the bifolds but realised one of the brackets was incorrect, so 2 fitted, 2 to do

Lastly i stated to board out part of the ceiling, enough to build a 600 deep stud wall partition where the drier and washer will be fitted. Its all ready for plastering which ill do next time I'm back as I'm off to work tomorrow for a few days.

The new mitre saw is coming in very handy indeed

Thats it for now, hopefully, I'll have another update late next week :)

Well, its been more than a week since my last update, shame on me :)

As per the above post, since then i skimmed the stud wall and left it to dry out good and proper as the family and I went on holiday for a week so, not much happened really.... but it dried out well

I also put the sliding mitre saw to some use and having bought some more CLS I boxed out the pipework ready for boarding which will be done at a much later date

I have been busy, but with menial jobs, sanding painting, cleaning up.

I had a garden full of rubble, useless tat etc and had pretty much the same out the from of the house which I have managed to practically clear, with several trips to the local refuse.

This has enabled me to finally clear the patio off and seal it before commencing laying the tiles outside, a continuation of the inside ones..

It took a long time just to lay 3 lines, worth, with the patio being 6.6m in width and within the first 3 rows are 2 drain covers that needed filling in an lots of tile cuts to fit., once past these though it will be an easier job, still, there is 24m2 to lay.

I miscalculated on the tiles and think i'm a little short but I'm thinking i should just use what I have and leave a space where I could build a BBQ or outdoor kitchen of some sort, I'm undecided as yet

I had purchased some 'bifold' wooden doors from B&Q as the size was near perfect for the built in wardrobe in the front bedroom and with my dad being the skilled carpenter I put him to task of fitting them....

He was less than impressed with the quality of the design and instructions so we decided to actually split them and fit hinges to both sides and use them as normal individually opening doors which worked a treat

They just need sanding and glossing at a later date :)

I just need to design and make small opening doors to utilise the full space and the above shelving

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back