NEWBIE ALERT - Side extension, drains concern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

Newbie on here, but looking forward to future discussions and advice as i have just bought a house which needs plenty of renovating. We've done what Kirsty and Phil tell you to do : buy the worst house on the best street - so now comes the hard work.

The side garage is detached and into the back garden. I want to bring it forward in line with the house and extend behind the garage for utility and expanded kitchen.

Along the extreme outside of the drive running to the existing garage (in the flower beds) is the private drain pipe with two man hole covers in the flower beds along the route down the drive. I think there was an old outside loo in garden at one point. Running underneath the drive (where the extension garage will be) will be the drain pipe to the waste pipe and roof guttering.

The question is, if the current drains (which need patching due to a crack anyway) are at the further most side of the whole property, can the extension foundations be laid without re-directing the whole drain pipe?
If not, is this going to be enormously expensive?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
As you will be doing a lot of digging for the extension and the drains are damaged anyway, why not consider a complete new run in plastic to suit the new layout and avoid later problems with patched drains running under your new extension?

I just had a load of drains replaced since some were blocked. 3 new gullies installed and backfill for £980. And that's in Surrey.

OP - You've just described our house (and probably god knows how many others), and the extension we're building.

We spent way more on the ground works than expected (mostly self-build on builder notice) - it really is an area to do you home work on (hence you post!).

We excavated in the region of 55 tones from the trenches and reduced dig. Despite is only being a garage and kitchen/utility extension of modest proportions, the bulking factor of this very old, undisturbed soil (house is c1890) was something else!

Muck away cost upward of £600 in all via grab lorries. I moved it all around the front in a wheel barrow to save costs and due to logistical issues.

Sewer and drains cost £1200 - so you're £2k in no time and that is before you consider the oversite (gravel) and the digger driver and plant hire.

Running your sewer through your footings isn't a problem - let the builder worry about a lintel over them, or a sleeve through the concrete etc, but consider, out of every hole you dig will come more dirt, and it all has to go somewhere and before you know it you're up to your balls in it!

Tom

Sponsored Links
Wow ! thanks for the quick replies guys.

I havent had any plans drawn up nor any quotes for the works by builders yet, but your suggestions and advice have given me food for thought. Thanks.

Pallatrax - if you dont mind me asking, what quote did you get for the whole build?

kbdiy - I was thinking the same thing, but looking at the cost element for the works. Not exactly going to be done on a shoestring, but the least the better !

We didn't - I basically estimated the costs and lined up a digger and driver, paid the council and got on with it.

We don't have any plans other than those in my head or on bits of rough paper - not that i recommend it, but it is working out very nicely at the moment (I'm tiling the roof after work tonight).

Don't get me wrong, there are have been some major head scratching moments, but the house is very old, my experience is limited and money is tight.

We've built the shell and nearly got it water tight for £10k, but, besides 75% of the digger driving, and block work, I've done the rest myself and the building inspector is a happy man.

Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back