Hi all! Quick questions about my new boiler!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a vailliant eco tec pro 24 fitted in my 3 bedroom semi detached house as the back boiler was condemed! Is this boiler good enough for a house of this size? I only have one bathroom with a bath, also what should the water temp and the heating temp be set to on the boilers digi readout for efficiency? p.s they have not fitted a temprature dial like the one we had in the hall for the back boiler, and have used a nearby plug socket and put a plug on the boiler instead of wiring it into the mains..... advice welcome!

Sponsored Links
Why was the backboiler condemned.

Sounds like a BG job.

The boiler should be ok but not more choice by a long way.

Plug and socket is ok for a cheap job, but there really should be a room stat.

Perfectly ok to use a plug but the socket it goes into should not have a switch on it.
24kw is plenty big enough for your heating requirements but only you can decide if water suits your needs

Just a few guesses on my part.
You did not know the people that did the work.
You did not actually verify that they were registered.
The benchmark is not filled out correctly.
The job was done rather quickly.
Rather competitive price.
His horse was parked in a nearby field whilst he did the work.
You are not completely convinced the work was done correctly.

If I am more or less guessing right, the number to call is :
0800 408 5500
This is the replacement of corgi, Gas Safe Register, who will send an inspector if you are concerned about the safety of the work. They are independent, and will not charge you, no matter what they find.

Sponsored Links
Why was the backboiler condemned.

Sounds like a BG job.
Plug and socket is ok for a cheap job, but there really should be a room stat.

Doesn't really meet the spec for a BG job does it?

Are they doing cheap jobs now then :rolleyes:

Theres enough poor actual BG jobs to go on about without blaming them for all the other ones ;)

Carefull Razor, it might be :rolleyes: and then it'll be another pint you owe me. :LOL:

my fiancee's sisters fella knows the people who did it, took em two days to fit it and cap off the back boiler so the fire still works, (no third seal where the backboiler is,) the plug does have a switch on it, and i dont know if they are registed or not! I will get that free inspection done i think just to be safe, at first the boiler started to make noise like when you turn the hot tap on, when i was turning on the cold!!! he came back and put a pressure reducing valve on and it dont do it now, so any idea on what the temp of the water and heating should be set around? there are both set to around 70 degrees atm!

my fiancee's sisters fella knows the people who did it, took em two days to fit it and cap off the back boiler so the fire still works, (no third seal where the backboiler is,) the plug does have a switch on it, and i dont know if they are registed or not! I will get that free inspection done i think just to be safe, at first the boiler started to make noise like when you turn the hot tap on, when i was turning on the cold!!! he came back and put a pressure reducing valve on and it dont do it now, so any idea on what the temp of the water and heating should be set around? there are both set to around 70 degrees atm!

Would be interested to know what they have done to the back boiler and fire.

There could be safety issue with what they have done.

any ideas on the temp settings for the heating and water, surely the heating temp should be a lot less than 70 degrees and still heat the house enough...

The radiators heat the house, and would have been size for a flow temperature around 80c.

Yes, a lower temperature would work, but would need to be on longer.

Condensing boilers run more efficiently with a return temperature below 55 C. As it doesn't sound like they did a particularly thorough job, that probably means 65 C is about as high as you can run the boiler without loosing out on efficiency.

There should be a thing called: "Benchmark sheet", sometimes it is part of the service and installation manual, sometimes it is a single A4 sheet, ususally blue on white.
They should have left both for you, as it allows verification of the work.
Is there such a sheet, and if so, is it filled out properly? If it is, I'd be interested to know a couple of the values filled out; I can tell with 90% accuracy from that alone if it was a cowboy job or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back