Hi, and a decking query (yawn)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly hi, finally got round to registering an account.

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now as I'm in the process of setting up some decking in my back garden covering 6.2 x 3.6m (nice easy numbers for 2.4m joists and boards!), the far side of the deck is raised approx 3ft off the ground creating a split level on what was a sloping garden.

I wasnt going to attach the joists to the house as I didnt want to cover up the airbricks, so have decided to get the posts within a foot of the wall, however I have bought some joist hangers to add a little bit more support, but the joists will just rest on these and wont be attached due to possible movement. I am going to get some liquid bitumen slapped on the posts before I set them, as this seems to make sense from what I have read in other posts. Got the deck boards, joists and posts, and I'm pretty much all set, but I have a few questions and appreciate and advice you may offer me....

• 1. Is the Blue Circle postcrete any good? Several threads mention Hanson postcrete but I cant find a supplier near me. Wickes sell Lafarge, would this be better than Blue Circle?

2. What type of screws should I use to attach the joist hangers to the brick work, am I right in saying coach screws?

3. The deck boards are pressure treated and I'm not planning on doing anything else to them as dont want to have to re-oil them every year, do you think that's ok, or will it drastically shorten their lifespan?

I appreciate any comments ;)

Sponsored Links
we just finished our decking, and used both Hanson and blue circle, the Hanson stuff is crap, you have to get the right amount of water in it for it to set and even then it takes a while, the blue circle stuff is soooo much better for the 80p extra per bag, all you do is half fill the hole with water then add the mix, its really that simple and it sets in no time.

don't go to wicks, b&q ect for the post mix, go to your local builders merchant it will be cheaper, b&q sells the Hanson post mix for just under a fiver a bag, we were getting it for £3.80 a bag at our local merchants, and the blue circle was 80p more.

if you don't treat your deck it will turn grey eventually and will start cracking, treated timber is only to stop rot, it doesn't stop the wood drying out and cracking.

OK mate, thanks for the advice, I will treat the decking in that case ;)

How many bags of postcrete do you reckon for a 1.5ft hole?

half a bag probs, depends on how wide the hole is, 1 bags goes further than you think, our deck is 5x3 meter and used around 18 bags for 36 holes, mind you wee only went down a foot as wee used 3ft hardwood post hammered 2ft into the ground lol

DSC_3116.jpg

Sponsored Links
That's a solid looking frame!

I'm putting joists every 1.2m but you've got them every 0.5m by the look of things? This decking carry on is doing my head in lol, I keep worrying that I will make a right arse of it :p

I'll buy enough postcrete for 1 bag per hole judging by what you've said.

Noo need to attach it to the house at all, seeing as though you are concreting in the posts. Use the cash you would have spent on joist hangers and spend it on sweets or comics instead

Wow this is an old thread! My deck is pretty much finished, just need to finish the hand rail and put steps down to the lower part of the garden. It looks great if I do say so myself. Seems to have taken ages but with weather being so bad towards the end of the summer last year, work stopped until a few months ago and we cracked on and got the framework finished off.

I did need to use joist hangers due to pipework under the ground near to the house ,I could only dig post holes 1m away from the wall. I have to admit that the deck is very strong. I treated all the posts with bitumen paint, I would totally recommend this stuff to anyone embarking on a similar project. I even painted the areas where the joists have been attached to the posts and painted over the bolt heads and the nuts. These areas are pretty much water tight now and hopefully will prolong the wood.

I really should stick some photos up, but tbh I woud rather wait until it is all completed. That said with the weather being so bad the past couple of weeks, it may be a fair while before I start digging more holes for the steps. Will get some pics uploaded at the weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back