Hi did u fight with mould??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. We live in house which was builder in 1954. The previous owners close all vents in home and from last winter we have big problem with mould on 1st floor room. In the corner of the room and joints a side wall with ceiling black mould just growing. We find also on the wall stains but they color is like little rust.

I can say we have vent in our room open and we open window every day in our room.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
Thanks for any advice.
How do you fight (Black-spot) mould?

Primarily insulation. Then ventilation.

Ridding the walls and ceilings of cold surfaces will instantly remove the cold spots that condensation thrives upon. Being savvy with venting rooms when you are aware of a build up of condensation i.e. when folk are showering, or when there is wet washing being draped about or when there is a pot full of spuds or pasta boiling on the hob.

But my first attack would always be insulate first.

I see that in rooms where there is no insulation along the edge as it was missed when installed.
Can you get to the other side and add some insulation?

I see that in rooms where there is no insulation along the edge as it was missed when installed.
The junction where wall meets ceiling usually corresponds (externally) at a point where the building is at its thinnest and most vulnerable. Hip roof houses are especially prone.

If you look at a section drawing of a typical eaves detail, there is little in terms of distance or protection from the surface of the internal ceiling to the outside of the tile. Usually, what little insulation is there, is often pulled away to allow venting.

We always make sure that the cavity insulation joins with the loft insulation and use roll-out eaves vent tray to ensure venting continuity with the OFV's (over fascia vents).

Sponsored Links
As above insulate. But also a decent fan or ventilation helps a lot.

We had a damp basement room, I put a decent vent in and it dried up.

Yeah I can do it

Thanks all for your quick respond. I will have a look from the outside to insulate a side wall and try sorting out a ventilation in home.
What is the best way to insulate edges??

If it's a loft space above, then go up and shove insulation along the edge. Often exposed plasterboard that gets cold and the moisture in the air settles causing mould.

Lift flooring above if no loft and add insulation.

Your raising the dew point

If it's a loft space above, then go up and shove insulation along the edge. Often exposed plasterboard that gets cold and the moisture in the air settles causing mould.

Lift flooring above if no loft and add insulation.

Your raising the dew point
I have just check over there and it’s looks like someone try make a room over there. Whole loft above that room have created small room from plasterboards so I will have to disassemble that to isolate it

Or remove plasterboard ceiling to gain access. Add Insulation. Replace board.
If you go up in loft, then put your hand under the insulation in the winter time. It's lovely and warm under.
This raises the surface dew point of the plasterboard.

Last edited:
Or remove plasterboard ceiling to gain access. Add Insulation. Replace board.
If you go up in loft, then put your hand under the insulation in the winter time. It's lovely and warm under.
This raises the surface dew point of the plasterboards
I get easily access from loft side just need remove a floor. We talk about joints ceiling what about the corner I have mould grow in corner also

As soon I back from town I will make a pictures with mould grow places in my room and I post here. Thanks for advice about the joints I will definitely look in to this

I fight dirty so that it doesn't get mould of me.

Right in corners can be hard to stop mould. We shut rooms off at night when it's cold so that spot can get a little mould.
I get a bit mould myself at home so I need to treat every few years. To help stop mould I add vc175 to emulsion.
I also open windows for half hour in winter to let the moisture out and dry air in.
Read about airing house.

Right in corners can be hard to stop mould. We shut rooms off at night when it's cold so that spot can get a little mould.
I get a bit mould myself at home so I need to treat every few years. To help stop mould I add vc175 to emulsion.
I also open windows for half hour in winter to let the moisture out and dry air in.
Read about airing house.
Hi thanks for respond again. I just went on loft and check under floor. It’s looks like someone make a base on the loft screw down the floor boards and put insulation on top of it .

I will need remove whole of insulation and unscrewed floor then put new insulation under floor especially in the gaps as u said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back