Hi I'm new..... and have a hole in my door :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all. Hi my names Darren and I've just joined this site in aid of some expertise and advice. And then some as my home diy gets on. Ive never lived in my own place before and learning as I go on. I'm sorry if this is a bit of a newbie problem and question.

I probably should begin to explain what happened. Me and my girlfriend live in a block of flats. Not sure what you call them really. It's like a house with an upstairs but you need a key fob to get in so the front door inside sort of but the hall is shared with others front doors. It's simple but difficult to explain lol. What has happened is we got locked out one day. Money was short after Christmas and couldn't afford or at the time have the option to wait 4 hours for a locksmith. Was Boxing day as well so even if anyone was open.

After toying with the idea there were two options. Break a window out the back and board it up but I wasn't too happy with that idea because it was right outside so kinda gives a welcome to robberies sign to everyone. I ended up in the communal hall and pulled the plastic window beading frame off. Seemed the safety and cheapest option at the time considering you need a key fob the get in. Still tho a hole in the front door is never good no matter how much you trust your neighbours. Having to snap and tug the screws. It came off and the glass is undamaged. Was just held in by the two part frame. Was enough to get our hand in and open the door. Quick fix with some no nails held it in for now and from the outside is not noticeable but I'm back looking at it now before we both go back to work.

The door seems to be wooden with a laminated finish. The hole is a diamond shape. Or square on its side lol. With pink foam in the middle of the door. To seal the gap or toughen the door I'm not sure. I'm left with the 2 parts of the window frame. Snapped and won't be going back together. The idea was to just go and buy a new plastic frame the same that holds the glass but i can't find one :/ maybe I'm searching for the wrong thing. Can anyone help. I'm left with either nipping out and buying one (if i can find one) or gluing the outside on properly with strong glue and same on the inside. Will look untouched but i understand not as safe. Anyone know what these frames are called or any recommendations? Thank you.

The frame looks to be 2 parts originally. Place the outside on on. It holds the glass and then the inside is screwed into the outside one till tight to hold everything in. Frames are intact. But won't be screwing back together anytime soon.

Sponsored Links
Interesting story.

If you can't tell, why not leave it as is, doesn't sound any less secure than before and will make it easier next time.

Lol. Well I'm sat here with the bear minimum at my disposal. The quick fix I did on Boxing day with the no nails has given up its hold. I've taken it all off. Cleaned everything. I'm contemplating now as i sit here to do just that. But a better job this time lol.

I've managed to get the screws out and glued them back on. Unsure if they will be strong enough to screw tightly or not.

Sponsored Links
Don't know if anyone is following my DIY morning, but Ive finished :).

Only time will tell if it will hold but seems pretty tight. I managed to unscrew the snapped off bits and super glue them back on. I only did this at first to help guide it so its all centered but after an hour they seemed pretty strong.

I popped the window back in wedged with some polystyrene to center it in the hole and give it a tight fit. Then popped some sealer in around the meeting point. Before pushing the front on i placed some 1mm foam tape around the edge to give a flush fit, and some no nails on the re glued on screw joints and screwed it together. Just to give it that little extra bond. Seems to have done the trick and no more worrying that the window is going to fall off everytime I open the door. Altho would have been good to leave it off so royal mail can push my parcels thru the hole instead of leaving me a 'sorry we missed you card' lol :)

To be fair you've done a pretty good job for a newbie diyer, you managed to break the glazing cassette out with no damage to the door, yes you broke the cassette but seemed to have fixed it as best as anyone could other than sourcing a new cassette

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back