Hide TV cables on chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone,

previously i posted that i wanted some downlights in my fire surround, but i've ditched the idea as it's too risky and daunting. I've now hung up my tv on the chimney breast above the fire surround, shown below. The dilemma i have is that i want to hide the wires - 2 x hdmi, 1 x power, 1 x scart which are going to run to a wall socket & cabinet on the left of the chimney - so my question is how can i do this nice and neatly?

Here is the fire surround photo:-

%24%28KGrHqMOKjsE4h9h%29%21KbBOS%21RZrEhw~~0_3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Way too high for a tv , centre of screen should be at head hight when seated to avoid neck strain.

Sit down at your chosen viewing spot and find a spot on the wall that is parallel to your gaze. That should more or less be where the center of the flat screen TV should go. You can make it a little higher or lower if you wish, but more than 6 to 12 inches and you risk placing it in an uncomfortable position.

Is the ideal position. Your not too far off with your proposed and have sen them far higher.

As for the cables, Drill in the side wall, then another at the lower part where the TV will be (Covering the hole obviously) and try and fish thru from the side. Two 20mm holes side by side should suffice. The scart will yhen fit thru and a bit of making good to do after.
And a couple of cable rods.

Job Done

guys, i'm happy and willing to take a risk with the tv position and anyway if i suffer neck pain then i guess i'm watching too much tv :LOL:

@ Alarm - I should be able to make holes from the side of the chimney, but how do i pass such a big scart cable that has a connector that is like 2 inches by one inch? Could i get some sort of scart face plate that i can wire/fix permenantly onto the chimney wall?

Sponsored Links
Get yourself a DETACHABLE SCART LEAD but just make sure you don't drill into the flue.

On the subject of positioning, I made the mistake of mounting the bedroom TV above the fireplace and when lying in bed the picture was so dark we had to turn it off and find something else to do.

RESULT!! :D

Get yourself a DETACHABLE SCART LEAD but just make sure you don't drill into the flue.

On the subject of positioning, I made the mistake of mounting the bedroom TV above the fireplace and when lying in bed the picture was so dark we had to turn it off and find something else to do.

RESULT!! :D

:LOL:

On a more serious note...a lot of ppl advice against hanging a tv above a fire, but surely these tv's can easily handle temperatures of upto 40-50C? Also did the heat from the fire affect your tv?

The fireplace in the bedroom was the original cast iron one which was sealed up long ago and so only decorative. I can't say I know of anyone who has had problems caused by the heat but that's not to say it doesn't happen.
In all honesty, I don't think it's so much the heat that causes the problem but moreso the uncomfortable viewing angle, as others have said. A lot of the newer TV's now have greater viewing angles so the problem isn't as bad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back