hiding a soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This soil runs straight down through where my new front door will be going so Im moving it. I was going to continue the right turn (hidden under new porch roof) to the corner and then down to box it in. (downpipes going)

How can I get rid of the Upwards section? I can't easily run it into the roof space can i just get a small stub type design?

Thanks for ideas.

BB

IMG_3922.jpg

Sponsored Links
No, it needs to be an open vent, and even if you did have a stub it would need to rise above the spillover level of the basin in your upstairs bathroom meaning it wouldn't be much shorter. In other words, you need to re-create what's there now. You should also be aware that this work is notifiable to Building Control

Thanks muggles,

So I could move the stack over on the far right if the house make it a AAV so long as it's higher than the sink? Which will be mid window by my estimate?

Sponsored Links
Keep it vented, as the others have said. Removing vents and fitting AAV's in place can soon start causing problems, drains need to breathe.

Thanks again chaps, I have read conflicting info about running rainwater in sewers. Currently my system does this as I'm in heavy clay and cant get a soakaway in. I was wondering if i could run the gutter into an SVP directly or whether shear weight of water may 'overload; the vent and cause suction?

With the above points taken onboard and laying in new pipes for an extension how does the following look?

Happy to consider anything trying to avoid unsightly pipes up the front is my main priority.

IMG_4816.JPG
IMG_4817.JPG

Not quite sure which way the drains are running, but I will assume given the angle of the lateral into the chamber from the ground floor WC, the flow is from Right to Left on the drawing. Given that, the soil pipe shown at the rear will likely be the highest point of the system anyway, I'd put the vent there at the rear.

This would remove the need for a vent at the front, (fit an AAV at required height to cap the stack there, and tidy things up). Rainwater I would keep separate to ground level, then connect into the system (assuming this is allowed), via a trapped gulley.

Connecting rainwater to the stack will allow the rainwater outlet to act as a vent, and there is a risk of it filling your loftspace with obnoxious smells. This is why a vent should always terminate above eaves level.

IMG_4821.jpg
Thanks for that. Im not sure the rear SVP will be sufficient to vent the front bathroom's as well as the rear?

I looking as trying to position the front SVP internally now as the missus wants to redecorate the bathroom anyway!

I added the flow arrows to assist.

Regs state the head of the drain should be ventilated, i.e. the highest point, which looking at your drawing, will be the soil pipe at the rear. As long as there is on event on the system, its not too important exactly where it is, as long as the system can breathe at some point.

Thanks Hugh, I think I'm with you now.

I can vent at the rear and have two AAV's at each front bathroom. If I feed the rainwater into the drain at ground level maybe I could add a p trap to avoid smells?

Thanks again for help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back