Advice on soil stack vent pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the usual issue of wanting to hide a soil stack ventilation pipe from an en-suite bathroom to make it easier to install a new shower tray. I have been assured by my plumber that it can be done easily but I'm not sure I trust his idea - could an expert offer any advice?

The current situation is this, I have 2 internal soil stacks in my 2 storey house. The main one serves the downstairs cloakroom (wash basin and WC) and the upstairs main bathroom (bath, washbasin and WC). This is boxed in and is open vented through the roof. This will remain as is.

The second stack - the one I would like to hide - serves the upstairs en-suite only (shower, washbasin & WC) and is also open vented through the roof (opposite side of the house). Both stacks are 110mm grey plastic as standard.

My plumber has suggested the following to enable me to hide the first floor section of the en-suite stack:

1) connect the new shower, basin and WC to the en-suite soil stack in the usual manner in the floor space below the en-suite.

2) then, sever the vent pipe above the new connections and remove the dry venting section, i.e. the length of 110mm pipe from just above the new connections to the roofspace

3) replace the removed 110mm pipe with a 32mm pipe to serve the same purpose - presumably using some kind of reducer. This can then be hidden in the wall thus eliminating the need for any boxing in whatsoever.

4) fit an AAV to the top of the new section in the roofspace.

My issue is I don't know if this meets the building regs, is safe/sensible, or indeed if it is really possible.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Im pretty sure for a soil stack that is for a en-suite you need min of 3" soil to the AAV. (3" pipe is quite expensive compared to 4") you may be able to take to soil pipe out through the wall under the floor. not easy to do though.

Sponsored Links
Apologies for the delayed reply - been away for a while.

Thank you for your replies.

Crockett - that pdf only describes the size recommendations for waste pipes to the soil stack - not the actual vent pipe itself - a useful document all the same though, thanks.

newgasinstaller - unfortunately I omitted to tell you that the walls adjacent to the vent pipe are at the front of the house, so that's sadly not an option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back