Waste pipe maximum lengths to soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Plumbers

I'm hoping to install an en suite in my bedroom. I read online that the maximum length of waste pipe to the soil stack are as follows:

WC 6m
Basin 1.7
Shower 3m

Are these correct?

I can satisfy the WC requirement, but need to extend the basin and shower distances considerably. Is it possible to do this by using wider pipe? Additional vents? Any other method?

My soil stack runs down the middle of the house, and I have access to the loft which is directly above the bathroom and proposed en suite.

All help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Now I've found this on marleyplubminganddrainage.com

Frequently asked questions
Soil
What is the maximum length of waste pipe can I fit to: Sink, Bath, Basin or Shower?
Sink: No limit Bath: No limit Basin: 1.7metre for 32mm- 3metre for 40mm over 3 increase too 50mm 2 Shower: No limit All waste pipes should be fitted at gradient of 18mm per 1 metre minimum.

What's the difference between a sink and a basin? Surely it's a technicality?

confused.com

A sink is found in a kitchen, a basin in a bathroom or WC. ;) If you're not too far outside of these limits you should be ok, fit an antivac trap if siphonage presents a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back