Can I replace an external soil pipe vent with a stub stack?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it posssible to get rid of the ugly, primitive soil vent pipes sticking over the roof by replacing them with a shorter stub stack?

Sponsored Links
As above, you can, but vents are there for a reason. Drains need to breathe, capping off vent stacks, or lowering the height and fitting AAV's effectively seal the drain, so any positive pressure needs to find another way out. Which is usually via a trap inside the building, which will result in offensive odours internally.

Thanks. Isnmt a stub stack a shorter pipe with an air admittance valve at the end, which does exactly what a vent pipe does, but one way and without the need to ruin the visual aspect of a house?

I’m not trying to remove the ventilation functionality, but replace it with something nicer, if that makes sense.

Sponsored Links
If all your street did the same you would all be in a pickle.

Why not employ someone to fit you a new nicer looking one.

1. A normal vent pipe, provided it is fitted with a bird guard, doesn't get blocked.
2. AAV's are mechanical, and will almost certainly eventually block, although it may take ages.
3. Any AAV must be:
3a. Suitable for external use if used outside. Not all are.
3b. Be fitted above the spill over level of the highest appliance connected to the stack. Thus a "standard" two storey house would have it fitted above the level of the rim of the highest wash hand basin.
4. I'm fairly sure there is a Water Regulations requirement for the highest drain on any 6 connected drains to have a proper vent.

Thanks. Isnmt a stub stack a shorter pipe with an air admittance valve at the end, which does exactly what a vent pipe does, but one way and without the need to ruin the visual aspect of a house?

I’m not trying to remove the ventilation functionality, but replace it with something nicer, if that makes sense.

You've contradicted yourself in the same sentence there. An AAV doesnt do the same as an open vent! The vent allows free passage of air in and out the system, an AAV only admits air if the system is under negative pressure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back