Can I condense into a soil stack?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just in the final stages of an extension, and the old "Z" rated back boiler is finally getting replaced. We've got an internal soil stack for the new downstairs loo which is about 1500mm from where the new boiler is going to be situated. I've been told by the building inspector that this internal pipe has to be a stub stack, so, can I condense the boiler into this stub stack (above the toilet outlet) which will then be boxed in?

Sponsored Links
Is the stack plastic then yes there is no problem at all if its cast iron then the condense must enter below a level where waste water will enter so that it washed off the walls of the stack and not cause corrosion.

well that's nice and clear, then!

How does washing moisture off of pipe walls - with water - work, then?

Sponsored Links
Yes - the pipe is plastic.
Johnno - why a straight "no"? why not?
Hi1 - What effect could sewer gasses have on the boiler?
Slapper - who's that aimed at?

How do you stop the sewer gases entering the boiler?

There is a trap in the condensate trap...

But there is the issue of a drain blockage backing up sewage water into your boiler unless there is an air break somewhere, which would need a gully / trap after it to keep the sewer gasses away.

How do you stop the sewer gases entering the boiler?

There is a trap in the condensate trap...

But there is the issue of a drain blockage backing up sewage water into your boiler unless there is an air break somewhere, which would need a gully / trap after it to keep the sewer gasses away.

It'll go into the soil stack approx 750mm above the toilet outlet and slope upwards with a gradient of about 15 degrees. Still ok to do or not.
Thanks for the replies so far.........

Slapper - me being a bit paranoid!! :eek:

My concern re the gases was 1. They smell, i didn't appreciate the condensate trap would act in the same way as the trap under the kitchen sink for instance 2. The gas will contain/ consist of methane which is somewhat flammable, rather like the French person who made his living on the stage igniting his farts, Spike Milligan explains the process better in his ww2 autobiography.

Providing the condensate drain is above the spillover level of the W.C. Pan it should be fine. (At 750mm unless you have a tall W.C. then it will be ample...)

If worst happens and drains block, the water will pour out of the W.C. before it gets anywhere near the boiler.

most manufacturers say no to this (3 I know of) wb, vaillant and baxi.

MI's are to be adhered to in every aspect at all times!

most manufacturers say no to this (3 I know of) wb, vaillant and baxi.

MI's are to be adhered to in every aspect at all times!

Just pulled up vaillant MIs of random model.

WHAT'S this :rolleyes:

The discharge pipe from the boiler condensate drain
must have a continuous fall (45mm per metre) and preferably
be installed and terminated within the building to
prevent freezing. The condensate discharge pipe must
terminate in a suitable position, e.g.:
a)preferably the discharge pipe should be run and terminate
internally to the house soil and vent stack (at
least 450mm above the invert of the stack). A trap
giving a water seal of at least 75mm (3) should be
incorporated into the pipe run.
:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back