Hiding pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have central heating pipework chased into old plastered walls, both horizontal and vertical runs.
Unfortunately, old is the operative word. Plaster depth and age of plaster make it impossible to hide with wallpaper.
The main offending wall, is a stair wall which has other bad areas needing “hiding”.
I know this is not strictly a plumbing problem but you are so helpful and
knowledgeable.
What is there out there that would disguise these bad patches?
I am very reluctant to use polystyrene veneer under the paper as the wall is obviously vulnerable.
Re-plastering is also not an option.
I would be must grateful if anyone has a tried & tested solution, or who can point me to a site as helpful as this one.

Sponsored Links
What is it exactly you want to hide - the pipes or patches of stain?

I'm not a plumber, but I do know that copper pipework buried in plaster eventually corrodes ( if not protected) so is the wall stained?

" tried & tested solution,"
Yes mate. Don't bury pipes in plaster, or you'll get all your problems, cracks, and big trouble if someone puts a nail through it. :cry:

Thanks another_sparky,
I would guestimate that the pipes were installed some twenty years ago, before I bought the house. There is no staining. Just humps that cannot be rubbed down.
I’m trying to make the wall look flatter. Hopefully by applying something with a better covering ability than wallpaper.

Sponsored Links
No magic answer to a bump in a wall! Consider covering it all in 9mm plasterboard and just filling the joints. Quite cheap. Or use a deeply textured paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back