PLEASE HELP HIDING PIPES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wall hung bathroom basin and I am trying to work out how to hide the pipework. I have been told that the braided steel water feeds will be visible next to the bottle trap, and you can't chase them in to the wall because the pipes can't be bent very much etc.

CAN ANYONE HELP.

I really need to hide these pipes as they will look nasty.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
cant chase out to run pipes in a wall????? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

wot sort of wall and location??? If it is a hollow dry wall it would mean taking out a section of plaster/board and a little carefull skimming... if it external double block/brick then chasing out and a little carefull plastering should be fine... if its a single skin internal block/brick wall then there is a problem with chasing out to run hidden pipes as you might damage the other side of the wall but careful grinding out is a lirrl messy but not impossible to get a good finish wivout causing dammage.... and since when could copper at 15mmm not be run and brought thru on chrome plated tube on an elbow???? more carefull consideration would need to be given to the location of the waste water pipework

provide more info on the location and structural make up of the wall.... sounds perhaps that the installer is either being lazy or wants to finish the job quickly.... or perhaps is frightened of informing you of the additional labour costs involved....

please note a customer of mine wanted me to put a semi ped basin on an internal cinder block wall 4 inches thick....

"where am I gonna run the waste pipe then?" I pointed out, "down the stairs?"

Thanks for the reply,

The wall is a stud wall so nibbling a bit out isn't too difficult. According to the fitter, because I'm using a mixer tap he'll have to connect two 300mm long 8mm braided pipes to the the hot and cold on the mixer then convert them both to 15mm pipe before he gets to the feeds.

When I asked why couldn't he just hide it all up inside my basin cavity he said that he couldn't guarantee it because you can't put much of a bend in the piping.

Why the hell can't he just send the pipework straight out of the wall? The basin is pretty chunky in profile at 180mm thick so there should be plenty of space hide it all.

And besides whats wrong with discarding the braided pipe idea altogether and solder it using nice chrome pipe instead?

Sponsored Links
What makes you say that? I would happily pay more for the job to be done properly if that's what you mean.

he couldn't guarantee it because you can't put much of a bend in the piping.

Why the hell can't he just send the pipework straight out of the wall? The basin is pretty chunky in profile at 180mm thick so there should be plenty of space hide it all.

i rest my case ;)

I would be grateful if you could tell me how you would suggest doing it?

Not wishing to cast aspersions but...

I'm beginning to get the impression that the "plumber" isn't much good at working pipe?

He doesn't seem to be very comfortable using "proper" pipe, perhaps he would be more comfortable using plastic...

(Not wishing to re-awaken the debate on plastic pipes, I use them where they are best for the situation)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back