Hiding pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've fitted a cloakroom to our kitchen and where the basin can go there is a sold and or a stud (about 70mm thick excluding plasterboard).

We're gonna hang a wall hung basin on the stud and get one of those chrome plated bottle traps for the waste.

The basin will have a monobloc basin mixer.

My problem is that the plumber isn't in for a couple of weeks and in the meantime I need to run the hot/cold feeds and waste inside the stud so it can be plasterboarded and skimmed before the plumber gets in. He can then take the waste and feeds in the floor void to where they need to go.

So not being a plumber can I get some advice please:
1. For the feeds - to reduce any joins and to minimize leaks am I best to get a long (1 - 1.5m) flexible tap connector and run this from the basin, through the stud to the floor void beneath?
2. Run a length of plastic pipe and use a small tap connector hose for monobloc basins? Is there enough give in a plastic pipe to bend to do this or am I best to use an elbow and two straight runs of pipe?
3. Or is there a better way - we basically don't want the wall hung look to be undone by unsightly hot and cold pipe work.

For the waste:
1. In a 70mm stud is there enough room to use a 90 degree compression fitting that will connect to the sleeve of the bottle trap?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

John

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't recommend hiding flexis in a wall. They have a limited life expectancy compared with copper pipe. If (when) they fail, you won't know about it until the plasterboard (and possibly the floor as well) is like mashed potato.

How about coming out the wall with copper/plastic, and a 180 or 270 degree loop in 300mm flexis behind the basin?

Sponsored Links
nipped into a plumbing merchants ont he way to work and they gave similar advice.

As the pipework under the floor void is plastic, I'm gonna run plastic pipe sup through the stud for the hot and cold feed with a 90 degree elbow then a little bit more plasti pipe and two flexi hoses connected to the plastic pipes with compression fittings. The hoses will be visible but we'll just live with it.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back