Options for hiding/tidying pipes behind vanity unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, so the missus comes home yesterday and says she's been thinking, could we have one of those freestanding units with a basin on top, instead of basin/ped when we do our bathroom this month.

Like this http://www.victoriaplumb.com/Navale_regular_glass_shelf_unit_wenge.html

Now, I like to keep her happy but not sure what's best to do.

I've installed a freestand basin before but had the luxury of being able to take my waste & feeds through the wall.

This bathroom will have the unit on an outside wall. I don't want to bury the pipes in the wall, it would be hassle with the waste anyway. Don't really want to stud the wall out either as that will waste space, which is at a premium anyway.

Would it work if I used a normal chrome bottle trap, but instead of coming out horizontally, went straight into a 90 deg bend, then down to the floor in chrome waste pipe, then loose it under the floor boards. Or would this cause problems with too many bends close together?

Failing that I thought about turning the trap around so that I went out horizontally, then tried to hide the waste behind one of the legs of the vanity unit, or just run it down close to the inside.

Water feeds I'll just have to use chrome pipe and try to keep it neat/inconspicuous (sp?).

Anyone done similar that can give some tips/ideas?

Sponsored Links
Both sound reasonable options, but it depends on how confident you are that it will look right.

Tell the missus to be sensible and then refer her to the rule:
They can either tell us they want something doing, or how to do something but not both.

Haha!

Suppose the other option would be to stud out a little just in the gap underneath the vanity unit, you wouldn't notice to look at it, but it depends whether the glass shelf goes flush to back of unit/wall or not.

We're going to go through all the suites, etc we've looked at tonight to try to decide anyway, but I do think one of these would look nice as we wanted wenge furniture/cabinets, and will be having a wenge/drak panel on the bath.

I was also going to suggest a "false back" to the unit, rather than studdign out the wall. If you do it in a finish to match the wall behind then it might not be that noticeable.I held back on that because tyou mentioned abotu space being a premium, but you aren't going to miss a few inches just behind the unit are you?

Sponsored Links
No, I can handle losing a bit behind unt, just didn't want to bring the whole wall out.

Debating the vanity unit anyway, as some of the other suites we've looked at, I've found some cracking deals, but postage is same whether you buy just a wc or complete suite which makes a difference.

I'm actually having a job finding any alternatives to the stand I posted up, anyone got any ideas? Same sort of style, same dark colour - just like to have some choice!

Love the way they show these things unrealistically.

I put in a combi once; housewoman was horrified that it had PIPES - the one on the brochure didn't so why did mine?! :rolleyes:

I know, eveyr brochure shows an install with a false wall, yet how many people realistically do that!!??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back