Plumbing a new vanity unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just bought a new vanity unit for the bathroom with a recessed bowl to replace a standard pedestal basin. It stands about 6 inches off the floor on decorative legs so all the pipes and waste from the old unit which ran up through the floor and behind the pedestal can be seen. Two options are available to me 1) Box in the pipes for the distance that it sits off the floor (easy option but wont look too good). 2) Sink all the pipes into the studded wall (which the sink is fixed to) and behind the skirting board and come out further up to make connections to the "U" bend and taps. I have a couple of questions: Which do you think will look best. Is it ok to bury pipes in studded walls.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you see these pipes except when you are on your knees looking under the vanity cupboard?

If joists run at right angles to each other then you may be able to divert water pipes up through the timber framing at the bottom of the partition wall and out behind unit. Waste pipe may be more of a problem due to its size If you are very careful and lucky you might be able to do this without having to cut plasterboard above skirting and below unit. If your luck is like mine floor joists and studs in wall will be exactly where you don't want them.

If joists run parallel to wall you will probably find that there is one right under the wall to support it. I Can't recommend cutting away part of this particularly if near the middle of its span.

You could add a neat plinth to hide the kickspace and those decorative legs. like under a kitchen cabinet.

Unfortunatly the pipes will be easilly seen whilst walking up the stairs.

I do know that the joists run parallel to the wall as I've lifted some tongue and grove chipboard flooring in this area previously. However I'm not sure if any joists are directly under the studded wall, I will find that out tomorrow. Who knows I may get lucky for once.

Sponsored Links
JD said
you could add a neat plinth to hide the kickspace and those decorative legs. like under a kitchen cabinet.

After going to all that extra expense of chosing one with decorative legs??

I bet I know in that household who chose that particular vanitory unit.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Joe, it's a sad fact of life that us fella's have very little influence on the choice of any furnishings in our houses. We just have to make them fit and look nice in the time it takes to wash and iron a single load of laundry, or else :(
And yes a plinth would be much easier, but like I said...........

Move the whole wall out by 60mm by dry-lining and retiling it, when she isn't looking.

Surefire.

I've had 32 years experience. Not plumbing but being told what I have just decided to choose.

My response is "Yes dear, you are the one with the good taste in this marriage/relationship. After all you got me and look what I ended up with."

Do you have a spare room?

Joe, I've had 30 years or so "experience" too. At first I was strong and when we'd known each other for a week or so I gave in and decided to let the little lady think she was in control. I've been letting her think that ever since :oops: Great.

P.S. negative on the spare room, sorry, only just enough room for us and the kids!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back