Hiding tv box beneath in void beneath floorboards - none starter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m looking to mount my living room tv on the wall and do away with the cabinet beneath which currently houses various a/v equipment (sound bar, sky box etc.). Most of these items I can move and hide in a nearby alcove cupboard and connect to the tv using long lead cables which I’ll run through conduit which I plan to bury in the wall.

There is one piece of a kit though were this won’t work, namely the box for a Samsung frame tv I have mounted on a wall in the adjacent conservatory. This box only works with a short length cable which is supplied with the tv. Unfortunately there doesn’t appear to be any means of extending this cable which means I can’t hide the box with the other equipment in the new cupboard.

The wall I plan to mount the tv onto is brick so I can’t hide the box behind the tv (like I could if it was a stud/plaster board wall, box is thick as well) which means my options are limited. I could leave the box on the floor but this would spoil the look so I was wondering whether it would be feasible to hide it beneath the carpet / floorboards in a ventilated container which I have seen used for when kit is hidden in cavity walls.

I’m slight nervously about this given the environment (damp air etc) but I was thinking if it was located just beneath the floor boards (noting the need to keep good ventilation to avoid overheating) it could be a good solution.

Has anyone ever hidden any electrical equipment (not just cables!) under the floor? Is this a complete non starter?

Any advice appreciated!!

Thanks,

Tony.

Sponsored Links
The main risk would be from rodents rather than fresh, or not so fresh air.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Don't think it would be a problem heat-wise as it's probably the coolest point of the house, however I would possibly be concerned about the moisture rusting components within the box. I've had a radio in my shed for five years and the steel components in there have surface rust. Depends how long you'd keep the box!

If it's in an alcove, how about building a frame onto the wall and having the TV mounted onto that? My TV is on an arm low down on the wall in a corner, and I mounted the extension lead and box onto that.

How thick is the box, could you not remove some of the bricks behind the TV and mount the box in there and cover with the tv

I wouldn't put it in such an Inaccessible place. What if it developed a fault and caught fire.

Last edited:
I wouldn't take the risk. Electronic items go wrong all the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back