Hiding Vinyl Wall Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

There is an area in our bathroom under the sink where there were vinyl wall tiles, (perhaps wrongly) I have tried to chisel them off so the surface has been taken off but the underneath still remains. I tried to use a heat gun to get the rest off but firstly it is very slow and secondly as the new bathroom has been installed I don't want to get too close to the new basin and pipework. What alternative options do I have? Could I just skim over the bottoms or will the skim not adhear or crack? I did a test section with some filler (just smeared it over the top) and it seems to have gone quite dark, which could be because the layer is too thin or could be something coming through.

The other option would be to put some plasterboard over the top and directly paint this and maybe put some deido rail along the top edge to hide it. The problem with this is I will have to stick the plasterboard directly to the wall (no room for battons).

The area is only small, if you imagine the end of the bath with the sink, just to the right and then the toilet just right again. So they are all placed along the back wall (the width is about 6' I think). The solution doesn't have to be perfect, my work is generally a bit slap dash to be honest!!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

There is an area in our bathroom under the sink where there were vinyl wall tiles, (perhaps wrongly) I have tried to chisel them off so the surface has been taken off but the underneath still remains. I tried to use a heat gun to get the rest off but firstly it is very slow and secondly as the new bathroom has been installed I don't want to get too close to the new basin and pipework. What alternative options do I have? Could I just skim over the bottoms or will the skim not adhear or crack? I did a test section with some filler (just smeared it over the top) and it seems to have gone quite dark, which could be because the layer is too thin or could be something coming through.

The other option would be to put some plasterboard over the top and directly paint this and maybe put some deido rail along the top edge to hide it. The problem with this is I will have to stick the plasterboard directly to the wall (no room for battons).

The area is only small, if you imagine the end of the bath with the sink, just to the right and then the toilet just right again. So they are all placed along the back wall (the width is about 6' I think). The solution doesn't have to be perfect, my work is generally a bit slap dash to be honest!!

Try a scutch chisel they never fail, you may find you take some of the plaster off but you can fill.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Try a scutch chisel they never fail, you may find you take some of the plaster off but you can fill.

ah... The trusted scutch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back