HiFi Interconnects: Optical or Co-ax?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
My Minidisk player has an optical and a co-ax connector.

So does my new CD/DVD player which I use for sound.

The optical connector is very short, so I will probably snag it sooner or later and wrench it out or break the plugs.

Is optical in any way better than co-ax? Or vice versa?

I have plenty of hi-fi co-ax interconnecors with phono plugs on, can I just use one of them? Or is the digital connector is some way different from an analogue sound connector?

Sponsored Links
Hi, if you read the hi fi or home cinema mags then people get very confused, myself I have a Onkyo DVSP1000 dvd player and a Pionner amp, I connect from the dvd player to the amp via co-ax, not as sexy to look at as optical, but in my opinion a better sound over optical, which I have tryed in the past. :D

The optical connection is purely what it says it is, A connection. The signal is only modulated light within the connector. Once it is inside the equipment its just good old "electricity" again. I have kit with both optical and Phono connectors and find absolutely no difference at all..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back