High DPC and Render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for possible solutions to an issue with our extension. The house is on a slope (left to right and front to back) and this means that the dpc is about 1 meter from ground level on one side of the extension. The extension is going to be blocked and rendered. The builder started laying dense breeze blocks but we have stopped them from doing that as it will be on display and look awful. Going to speak to the main builder on solutions this week but not really sure where to go so looking for suggestions.
My understanding is even if we don't bridge the dpc then the render below would likely fail. Similar if we paint the blocks with breathable paint it will peel. As the floor level in the house is so high I assume the dpc has to be the same on the inside leaf and outside?
The guys laying the bricks suggested pvc cladding below dpc that would match the cladding going on the dormer extension above the block and render extension. That would sit proud of the render though and not sure it would look right (as well as the added cost)
I think at the moment unless we have a better suggestion we should just ask for more aesthetically pleasing engineering bricks with some care taken over the mortar finish. We can then break it up with a few plants etc to take the harshness off.
Anyone dealt with similar issues and if so what did you do please?

Sponsored Links
Build it in engineering brick, will look far better than render which will discolour over time, and could have issues with bridging the DPC, if the existing house has brick upto DPC match those or if not you could use a colour(likely blue) to match your patio.

Thanks Charlie. Spoke with the builder last night and we are going with dark blue engineering bricks with a bit of darker dye in the mortar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back