High Frequency Weatherproof Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to install 6 x 5ft twin weatherproof lights and I previously used to install Thorn 5ft 58w twins but these starter type lights seem to be a thing of the past and everyone is moving onto the HF versions.

I have been looking at screwfix and they are a shocking price and there seems to be different types of them which I can't tell the difference apart from the jump in price.

I used to buy my Thorn twins which included the tubes for £35 inc Vat and now these Thorn HF twins are £60+ and it appears you have to buy the tubes seperate which I can't locate on their site and I bet they cost a fortune.

I could go for another make but I don't know if there is a difference in quality or their reliability.

Has anyone used these HF weatherproof lights and could recommend maybe another brand. Maybe point out the tubes that work in these HF lights?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that.

So the tubes are the same.

What on earth makes these lights special or worth the extra money over the old started type?

They cost more to make, as the ballast is actually an electronic circuit rather than just a big coil of wire.

The advantages:
- tubes last 3x longer
- they don't flicker and flash when starting, or when the tubes eventually need replacing
- they work in low temperatures (particularly relevant when installed outdoors)
- they don't cause stroboscopic effects which make rotating machines look as if they are not moving

Disadvantage - they cost slightly more.

Sponsored Links
If these HF lights have like electronic boards on them, how reliable are they especially when there can be massive difference in price?

With the old starter lights, the only thing that gave bother was the starter but with these HF lights, if the board gave trouble, you have to change the whole light?

Also, the above lights from QVS use T5 tubes and others that I have see like the Thorns use T8 tubes. Is there any difference in either two?

With the old starter lights, the only thing that gave bother was the starter

Not really, the chokes often burn out.
Afaik if we ever joined the EU switchstart fittings would be banned from sale in the uk and apapparently are already banned in other EU countries.
Choke manufacturers altered the way chokes are made to continue selling in the uk, but I think the end is nigh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back