High Gas Bills?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Using a combination of a Nest Thermostat and a Smart Meter i'm trying to improve our gas bill which is currently over £145 a month!

Our boiler seems to be on approx 5 hours a day to keep the house at 19/20C during the day and 12C at night,
Which at 24Kw is costing 132Kw about £5 a day.

I thought i was our boiler inefficiency that was causing the bill till i got the figures above,

how many hours a day does your boiler normally run? thinking we might have a issue with house efficiency rather then boiler?

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
how many cubic metres of gas do you use per year? The size of your direct debit order is less useful.

How many have been in November and December? (the rate of usage per day will be useful)

Do you live in a well-insulated 2-bedroom terraced house in Cornwall?

Or a stone, 1880, 16 room manse in Inverness?

Also
5 hours x 24kW makes 120kWh, not 132

And it is (almost) impossible that a modern boiler will run continuously at its maximum rating.

my month-to-date gas usage for December 2019 averages 7.4 cu.m/day which is about 83kWh, which is normal for December, but since you don't know how big my house is, that is no help to you.

Sponsored Links
how many cubic metres of gas do you use per year? The size of your direct debit order is less useful.

How many have been in November and December? (the rate of usage per day will be useful)

Do you live in a well-insulated 2-bedroom terraced house in Cornwall?

Or a stone, 1880, 16 room manse in Inverness?

Also
5 hours x 24kW makes 120kWh, not 132

And it is (almost) impossible that a modern boiler will run continuously at its maximum rating.

Hi thats not my direct debit that my actual cost from smart meter home display

Also its approx 5hrs as 132 is 5.5hrs a day,

The loft should always be cold, you could add loft insulation where there is no boarding but do not block the eves.

Andy

4 bed house detached in Poulton near Blackpool
Many thanks

Cavity wall insulation?

Is the hall draughty?

How old are the windows?

Any bare floorboards?

Do you shut the internal doors?

Do you have TRVs on the radiators?

I would say look for draughts first, does the house cool quickly then the heating goes off?

Bit late but you should never change an old meter because they have worn and usually benefit the customer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back