High gloss finish on walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am looking to paint my walls in the house with a High gloss finish is there a special kind of paint to use?
is there any special preperation the walls have just been newly plastred

Sponsored Links
I'm not a painter/decorator but I'd say if you put a gloss finish on it won't allow the wall to breathe so you'll get condensation running down the walls.

I'm not a painter/decorator but I'd say if you put a gloss finish on it won't allow the wall to breathe so you'll get condensation running down the walls.
I know not to put just gloss paint on the walls that is why I am asking what paint would be best
But does the gloss you put on doors etc not let the wood breath??

Sponsored Links
I had a google for ya, coz completely stumped on gloss paint for walls, other than some of the fashion paints that are metallic and shiny - I think both dulux and crown do them. I saw one make in the shop, but can't remember which it is, but they do silver, purple, blue, a type of pink and gold.

The only thing I could find is mythic interior acrylic latex high gloss paint. I will say tho, to use something very glossy on your walls, they should be perfect. Gloss will show every imperfection there is.

And yes, I should think there's a world of difference between whole walls being able to breathe v's a little bit of woodwork...... you may just indeed get condensation.

Are you mad? It will look like a Victorian mental institution. Don't do it!

Straight to the point !!!! :evil:

I was being polite with the "1940`s retro" look ;)

Yes, straight to the point - that's me!:D Being polite or subtle with people who want to coat their homes in gloss paint rarely works, in my experience. I just wanted to stop them making an expensive mistake.

I wish someone had been straight to the point with me years ago, when I had the very bad idea of painting the skirting boards in my first house in dark green gloss.

Gloss finish on woodwork and kitchen cupboards (if professionally applied), I can just about accept. But not everywhere else! It would be horrible, especially if a DIY job.

Are you mad? It will look like a Victorian mental institution. Don't do it!

Straight to the point !!!! :evil:

:

Yes, straight to the point - that's me!:D Being polite or subtle with people who want to coat their homes in gloss paint rarely works, in my experience. I just wanted to stop them making an expensive mistake.

I wish someone had been straight to the point with me years ago, when I had the very bad idea of painting the skirting boards in my first house in dark green gloss.

dark green bottom of wall - black gloss dado line - cream above eeeek thank goodness for care in the community :mrgreen:

Oi, stop being horrid!! :D Variety is the spice in life huh? Be a dull world if every home was flat matt & annie sloan done in French grey...grins.
*ducks*

Oi, stop being horrid!! :D Variety is the spice in life huh? Be a dull world if every home was flat matt & annie sloan done in French grey...grins.
*ducks*

Not much danger of that where I live! Farmers are reluctant to spend a penny more than they have to and often have execrable taste. It's all I can do to convince them not to buy B & Q Value stuff 'to speed the job up' :rolleyes:

I also happen to think that the Annie Sloan stuff is a bit of a gimmick (and overpriced to boot).

I suppose gloss paint on the walls is going to be the next trend .

51bbcb4fdbd0cb1fb70002da._w.540_s.fit_.jpg

I also happen to think that the Annie Sloan stuff is a bit of a gimmick (and overpriced to boot).

Quite agree, but I was only taking the mick out what is the fashion at the mo, as apposed to out of fashion glossy walls or did you not get the point?! Sorry if I was not clear enough!

I suppose gloss paint on the walls is going to be the next trend .

51bbcb4fdbd0cb1fb70002da._w.540_s.fit_.jpg

Interesting. I like the colours. I still think it would look better matt!

I still shudder whenever I come across navy blue gloss paint, as the first rental flat we viewed years ago was painted throughout (very badly) in that colour and finish. When I say 'thoughout', I mean it...walls, ceilings, woodwork, wardrobes, even the sink. It was hideous. I'm always very wary about gloss finishes. Did a wall in a primary school in green gloss once, and it was a case of needs must - but even then I do think it has an ennervating effect on the senses. I do believe the essential spaces you inhabit should be calm, then you can liven them up with furnishings/pictures if you want.

And don't get me started on red walls in homes...!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back