High Level Cistern - siphon replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Shire (plastic?) high level cistern and the (old) siphon is starting to fail. I know it only needs a diaphragm but taking it off to do that and replacing it is a bit of a pain because it's joined to a lead downpipe. My thought is to do it once only and replace it either with a siphon that I can get to from the top to replace the diaphragm or to fit something like a 'flapper'. I'd prefer the flapper but all those I've seen come with either a push button or a handle both of which are no use on a high level.

The current chain pull lever could easily be attached to the chain on a flapper, so am I missing something? Can I just use the existing chain pull lever? Or is the whole thing a non-starter?

Sponsored Links
I`m guessing you`ve got a black "well bottom" cistern :confused: you`ll need a Dudley turbo S1 - 11 2 part syphon for that - I have thought about fitting a flapper valve myself , but I think the weight of the arm and chain etc might be too heavy for a flapper to shut off properly - not got round to trying it yet - and also you`d need to limit the movement of the arm when the chain was pulled . Connecting to a lead flush pipe should be no problem . (Shame you`re in Hampshire ,far from me. I`m after a lead flushpipe for my retro WC ;) ) I would use a strand of hemp and some LSX for the pipe/syphon connection - I reckon ptfe would leak . Feel free to ask more questions

you`ll need a Dudley turbo S1 - 11
Or a Metro Rapid 3 part 'D' shaped syphon at a quarter of the Dudley price, if the cistern is a well bottomed one.

If you wanted to explore the flapper route you'd need to add some weight to the arm on the inner side to counter the weight of the chain pull, and, as mentioned by Nige, you'd need to limit the distance the chain pull moved or you'd be ripping the flapper chain of the arm or flipping the lid off.

Anything's possible with a bit of Heath-Robinson thinking.

Sponsored Links
My apologies for not getting back and thanking you for your input before now. I've decided to totally replace the whole thing - everything except the actual toilet pan. In the long run it'll be more efficient.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back