high levels of humility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into a Victorian house which has high levels of humidity The humidity levels are higher at the back of the house usually about 80%. I never dry cloths within the house and use extractor fans in the kitchen i bathroom.
The bottom of walls in the kitchen and hallway become damp but when i use a dehumidifier the walls dry out. here are a few pictures of damp patches within my house the damp patch on the wall is about a meter from the ground

Attachments

• damp1.JPG
    damp1.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 111
  • SAM_2330.JPG
    SAM_2330.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 98
  • SAM_2329.JPG
    SAM_2329.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 115
Sponsored Links
I'd the humidity is higher inside than out, check under the floor boards for sources of moisture.

The humidity is usually higher inside the house then outside
The downstairs floor has been filled so no floorboards. if their was a leak under the floor upstairs would it be be noticeable with a damp patch on the ceiling?

How you use the heating and ventilation is the direct cause of high humidity levels.

Sponsored Links
At the moment i am using a dehumidifier in the kitchen which brings humidity down to 50% within 2 hours of turning off the dehumidifier its back up to 80% humidity.
I notice the kitchen floor tiles are a semi gloss type which make them look wet. Are they the breathable tiles that are laid on damp floors?
is it worth digging a french drain along the kitchen wall? photo of outside of kitchen wall below their is only about 2 inch in height between the kitchen floor and the ground outside

Attachments

• SAM_2326.JPG
    SAM_2326.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 85
  • SAM_2334.JPG
    SAM_2334.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 105

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back