Victorian house with solid ground floors damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased a Victorian house which has had the ground suspended floors filled believed this has taken place in the 1980s. I notice a damp patch at the base of one of the walls rising to about a foot high and about a foot in width the floor below the damp patch on the wall is also damp just as it joins the wall.
the rest of the floor is dry.
Someone told me that joint between the wall and floor needs sealing how do i do this?

Sponsored Links
Being a very specific patch the dampness most likely has a source. I'd try to find where it's coming from first. Raised external ground? Drain pipe? pooling water outside?

The damp patch is on an internal wall which separates my living room from my hallway. At it worst after heavy rainfall

If you can 100% rule out a positive source, such as pipes etc, then you're going to have to get physical with it. The dampness transfers from wall to floor (or floor to wall?) which would suggest there is no physical dpm and/or dpc present. First thing is remove skirting and check both. It might need a pick around with a hammer/chisel to find out.

Sponsored Links
It might be visible. If not you'll have to chip a bit of floor away until you find it. Hammer and chisel!

Yikes filled suspended floors sounds a nightmare. I had a damp patch there was the old water main going to the kitchen.

I've got a much older cottage with damp issues... I'm replacing the whole floor slab with a Ty Mawr Sublime floor :)
Might not be right for you but may be worth a look

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back