Small damp patch on party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small damp patch on the party wall about 50 cm in height form the floor and about 10cm in width. its a Victorian house which i purchase one year ago. i also notice the first panel of laminate flooring nearest to the wall is darker. Any ideas what could be coursing this?

Attachments

• DAMP PATCH.JPG
    DAMP PATCH.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 340
Sponsored Links
Go under the floor (if its possible) and crawl over to inspect below the joists.

Is there or was there a chimney breast on that wall or on the neighbour's opposite side?

Have you had any other issues with damp or condensation?

When was the laminate laid? The skirting looks relatively new?

FWIW: use mm's not cm's.

Its the hallway so no chimney, it a solid floor so no joist or crawl space, i have have another damp spot in the hallway and two more in the living room. The floor covering came with the house

Attachments

• d1.JPG
    d1.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 225
Picture of the two damp patches in living room

Attachments

• SAM_2358.JPG
    SAM_2358.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 266
  • SAM_2359.JPG
    SAM_2359.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 282
Sponsored Links
Before i purchase this house i had a home buyer report done The surveyor didn't notice that all the doors in the property are upside down The survey also stated that the bay window area is dry-lined so he was unable to i inspect the wall, I had a builder around and he told me that the bay window area is not dry lined.
He also stated that the roof is modern with breathable membrane but the builder i had around told me its not.
The membrane the roof has is black and gray back plastic sheet one side black and other side gray with little square is this a breathable membrane?

The couch appears to be close to a chimney breast - can you show a pic of the wall with the couch pulled away, & a pic of the face of the c/breast?
The skirting boards are modern which makes me wonder if previous remedial work has taken place - did the previous owner own the property for long?

Knock on the bay walls (or any suspect walls) and a hollow sound will indicate dry-lining. Dry-lining is often used to cover up damp signs on walls.
A pic of the roof membrane might help to identify it?

Do you still have the home buyer's report, and any damp & timber work cerificates?

Here are a few pictures of the roof membrane.
The surveyor has stated the roof has a proprietary plastic membrane.
is he right?
The surveyor did say the house has condensation issues i think he is wrong and believe it has a penetrating and raising damp problem
The surveyor also said the bay window area is dry lined . he wrong there no dry lining. All the doors are on upside down. which wasn't picked up in survey All he said some doors need adjusting

Attachments

• SAM_2362.JPG
    SAM_2362.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 258
  • SAM_2361.JPG
    SAM_2361.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 201

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back