Penetrating damp from party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The picture is from an external party wall where it connects to the back of my house. On the inside of the house, we noticed that some of plaster/ paint had started to blow. I’m not too worried about the plaster as a year ago we had an internal damp corse that has a 10 year guarantee. I am however concerned about tackling the cause.

The party wall is soaked. Things I noticed:

1- no pointing
2- no plinth
3- vegetation growing out of the wall
4- soldier corse looks a bit unhappy because of 1 ( no pointing)
5- where the party wall joins the house, there are wet patches and these patches coincide with the damp inside the house.

My thoughts were to:

Repoint the bricks
A-Plinth maybe the first 2 metres. After that,
B-there are huge plants in the way.
C- maybe inject a damp core into the wall
D-pull all the plants and spray with weed killer

My Questions:

Can this be done during winter or do I need to wait

Is this over kill or not enough

Am I missing the real step

Am I doing anything wrong

Attachments

• IMG_1541.jpeg
    IMG_1541.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
Poor photo but it looks like water can get top of the wall ( looks open ?)and as it’s very wet guess guttering leaking from above.

Stand back and take a wider pic of the whole wall, all the way up to the roof, and including gutters, downpipes, bay windows, plumbing overflows, bathroom plumbing, hoppers, wastepipes, shed roofs, boilers and drains that may be potential sources of water.

Silicone injections do not repair leaks or other building faults. Do not allow anyone who sells silicone injections into your house.

Plinths temporarily hide damp, but they do not cure it. Often they bridge the original DPC, so causing or increasing damp, annd by covering the bricks, they reduce evaporaion, preventing them from drying out and keeping the wall wet.. Find the original DPC in your house.

Sponsored Links
@JohnD

I’ll try and get a better picture. Really difficult position as you can’t stand back because there is a bush in the way and it’s very narrow. As far as I can see, there are no down pipes, drains or similar. No visible pipes what so ever. Not even windows. The only thing that I can see is that my neighbour seems to have a shed that is directly attached to the wall on his side.

The wall is only wet where there is no pointing and coincidentally where my neighbour’s he may shed is. He may have a waste or water pipe that comes out of his house at ground level.

The water is coming from somewhere. Once the source is established, it can be fixed.

Who owns the wall?

BTW old lime mortar is washed away by persistent water.

Your pointing, perhaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back