High recovery cylinders and excessive stratification?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been watching a Youtube video of a heating engineer fitting a 125 litre high recovery cylinder.

At one point in the video, he seems to be saying that if you run the coil on these cylinders at a high temperature, you will often end up with excessive stratification. So, the NTC sensor might be set to 60C, but the water from the taps coming from the top of the tank is dangerously hot at over 70C. Is this to be expected?

Sponsored Links
Yes, I would think so, these high recovery coils run with boiler flow temperatures of 80/85C, even my own 150L ~ 8kw (effective coil) gives a 5/7C difference. On a HW tap only, I wonder how much higher the scalding effect is with 70C vs 60C, I suppose it could be plumbed with the coil flow upwards to give plenty destratification?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back