high temp masonry paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having just installed my wood stove i am now getting around to decorating the fireplace area,
i need to find some black high temp masonry paint to paint the brick work around the stove but im struggling!
would stove paint work??
anyone have any suggestions
4028d8f8.jpg

04208721.jpg

sorry if this is in the wrong area, please feel free to move if required mods.

Sponsored Links
I know nothing of paints, but traditional "Stove Black" ( used to clean the old fireplace CI ranges ) might do the trick.

Rustins do a high heat resitant matt paint which I've used on a couple of barbecues and it gives a similar looking finish to your stove. The tin says it is suitable for most surfaces, but not having used it on a masonry, I can't really say how well it would work.

The problem is that it only comes in small tins, meaning you will probably need a few to do the job you want. :(

http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/p...ing-matt-black-paint-600-degrees-c-500ml.html

Sponsored Links
Hi Richard,

Have you used the Vitcas paint in your link? If so, do you know if it is available in various colours or can be tinted as I can't seem to get much info on it through the Vitcas site? (I've tried the online shop link but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place :confused: )

It would be a great product to recommend to clients if it is available in a range of colours.

Cheers,
mrH :)

Hi MRH
No I haven’t used it, only product I’ve used of theirs is the heatproof plaster. For render base, I use a sand/cement/lime render in two coats which hasn’t failed me yet.

The tub paint only seems to come in white but the spray comes in black, white, cream, silver and red. TBH I think bog standard emulsion is probably good enough for all but the fire opening (& possibly even there) but I’ve not been abe to find any info on heat resistance; I’ve never had any fail on the wall around an opening.

Hi all.
Thanks for the replies and input.
I have used ordinary exterior masonry paint so I will update later and let you know of any issues.
Hopefully none.

250ml tester pot done one coat!! = £2.50

225d5cca.jpg

Please excuse the tiles as I am just grouting them!

TBH I think bog standard emulsion is probably good enough for all but the fire opening (& possibly even there) but I’ve not been abe to find any info on heat resistance; I’ve never had any fail on the wall around an opening.

That's what I tend to think as well but I'm always dubious about recommending it 'just in case'. I've used emulsion on jobs where I've been asked to and it's generally ok but has sometimes become brittle and does discolour. However, it's not a situation I encounter regularly as most people with this type of fire in my neck of the woods tend to leave the brick/stonework in it's original condition or have it finished as part of the installation.

Thanks for the reply. :D

@ Chops77

It doesn't look bad so hopefully it will stand the test of time.
Keep us informed! ;)

Think the white grout was a mistake; it won't look like that for long & it tends to crack & fall out. I lay the tiles with ½mm gap & fill with clear silicone.

Think the white grout was a mistake; it won't look like that for long & it tends to crack & fall out. I lay the tiles with ½mm gap & fill with clear silicone.
The tiles don't get the slightest bit warm do I can't see the heat affecting the grout!!

These two paints will do the job and have used them myself to paint inside my stove alcove onto cement particle board.

Themacure Heat Resistant Paint - very smelly but good adhesion to cement board, render and brick. Not thick, but easy to apply. Also can paint stove.

Fascinating Finishes Heat Resistant Wall Paint - comes in different colours very good covering paint and it works on the same materials as above. Ps do not paint the stove in this one though.

Had very high heat on both to test them and no blistering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back