High water in toilet pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My wife is into everything retro - consequently I'm currently removing a perfectly good, modern white bathroom suite and replacing it with a 70's avocado suite.
All's going well so far, we managed to get the cast iron bath up the stairs eventually. I'm currently doing the toilet.

So, the old toilet worked perfectly well, therefore there's nothing wrong with the waste pipe at the wall.
I've fitted the new 70's toilet and have replaced every part except for the siphon as it seems to be ok. No leaks so all good there.
The only problem I've got is that the water is sitting too high.

When you flush, tissue sits on top of the water and the flow from the jets seems to go under the tissue which holds it up out of the way of the pull from the bend.
I've tried restricting the water level with the fill valve and by restricting the flush with the syphon - in both cases the water still sits high but more flushes are needed to get rid of 'stuff'.
If you push the tissue down with a brush, you can hear water flowing out the back into the waste pipe.

What do I need to do to fix this?

IMG_2309 (1).jpeg

Photo and video attached.

Video of flush...
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0a5lInK8aha70fr-n5HG3VPjg

Sponsored Links
replacing it with a 70's avocado suite.
Oh dear no - there is nothing good about an avocado suit IMO, even when they were going in in the 70's, they weren't very chic IMO.

Water level won't be too high, that will be the actual level that the design of the trap in the toilet dictates - the water level will always find the same height as the bottom of the bend at the outflow spigot - unless the pan connector/soil pipe has an upwards run which hopefully it doesn't.

Only way to alter the pan water level is to lower the height of the spigot and therefore the height of the seal in the trap, obviously that can't effectively be done.

Oh dear no - there is nothing good about an avocado suit IMO, even when they were going in in the 70's, they weren't very chic IMO.

Water level won't be too high, that will be the actual level that the design of the trap in the toilet dictates - the water level will always find the same height as the bottom of the bend at the outflow spigot - unless the pan connector/soil pipe has an upwards run which hopefully it doesn't.

Only way to alter the pan water level is to lower the height of the spigot and therefore the height of the seal in the trap, obviously that can't effectively be done.
Thanks @Madrab.

Don't get me started on the avocado :oops::LOL::LOL:

This is the back of it with the level of the water indicated by square...
IMG_2311.jpeg

As you can see the water level is sitting level with the top of the spigot and the connector slopes downwards very slightly - is there anything that can be done with that?

Unfortunately all toilet are not the same , some have very poor flush action , had one of three in my last home which required 3-4 flushes to be effective .You can blame this squarely on the mrs .

Sponsored Links
If the water level really is at the top of the spigot, that suggests there is no fall on the pipe exiting the spigot.

If the water level really is at the top of the spigot, that suggests there is no fall on the pipe exiting the spigot.

It should settle at the level of the bottom of the spigot, or rather the internal bottom level of the spigot.

is there anything that can be done with that?
No not really - as suggested there's only 1 thing that could cause the water level to be higher in the bowl and that would be that the water was caught in the outflow pipe - in essence - raising the level of the water seal.

The design of the pan's trap means there is no other way the water line could be 'held' higher, if you see what I mean.

and would certainly explain the higher water level in the bowl - good shout.

usually though with a double trap SS the water level would drop when flushed and then fill itself back up at the end - @Dazzathedrummer does the toilet do that when flushed?

Video here of the flush - https://share.icloud.com/photos/0a5lInK8aha70fr-n5HG3VPjg
It did have an aspirator but I removed it as it wasn't doing anything (same result when it was fitted)
If there is a faulty (the rubber bung) or no aspirator then usually there is no syphonic action triggered and the pan would fill right up and just drains slowly. That being said if yours had one then it certainly needs it and will undoubtedly be the problem.

The aspirator allows some of the flush down into the lower trap creating suction in the upper trap, if it's not there it won't ever work correctly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back