Weak Toilet flush (cistern not emptying)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi,

Plumbing novice here so please keep advice simple.

We've had a new toilet installed for about 5 weeks now and it has never had a sufficient flush. By sufficient I mean it does not empty the pan (liquids and solids, even tissue paper). I don't think it is an eco system as even these empty liquids. The issue I think is that there is not enough water coming in as if we twist the flush, and then pull it again mid flush it flushes ok with the extra 'boost' of water.

The problem with doing the above is that there is a hole in the top of the flush syphon (see photo). When we flush water comes out of here and squirts upwards. Do this twice or repeatedly and it leaks out of the top of the cistern down the back/ sides and then onto the floor.

I don't know what to do.

When using the flush, the cistern does not empty all of it's water. Just a tiny fraction on top which it refills. So

1) Should the cistern empty completely when flushing? Holding the flush down does not make a difference.
2) Is it normal to have a hole in the top of the syphone part (see photo? or is something missing. When the flush is fully opened the hole is blocked by a rising device with a cap on top which blocks the hole.
3) Would replacing the syphon help? If the system is eco which I don't think it is (I think there is a problem) will replacing it with another system solve the issue? Should I replace the syphon? Or another part?

i know there can't be anything blocking the toilet pan outlets as this is a completely new unit. Also the waste pipe is not blocked as it flushes ok if i empty a bucket directly into the pan.

Hope someone can help. Sorry for the long post.

Sponsored Links
Get the plumber to refit the bung,

or replace the syphon unit with a Flapper Valve.

31YWCPG5nXL._AA160_.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back