high water pressure - pipes judder when taps switched off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I am staying at my mothers for a few days. I am reasonably competent but need some quick confirmations.
I noticed when the mixer taps in kitchen and bathroom are turned off there is a 'kick back' in pipes. My worry is that this will eventually cause some damage/leak somewhere
I know form the past the house does have a high incoming pressure of at least 6 bar (may be higher)
I noticed the stopcock is only on a quarter of a turn (left that way by the last person who did a plumbing job)
Now I know there is a subtle difference between flow and pressure (ie pressure problems cannot be solved by reducing flow)
I opened stop cock to 3 half turns. This cured the problem at each tap except that when taps are turned off in kitchen you hear a shudder elsewhere in bathroom
I suspect the answer would be to fit a pressure reducing valve and set it to 3 bar
I did this in my house when I was fitting a mixer shower.
Does this sound like the problem / solution. I dont want to go to the bother of getting this work done if its not relevant. Also her mixer shower works fine as it is. I am only concerned about potential damage from judder
should I be concerned?
many thanks

Sponsored Links
Fit a mini arrestor to the pipe near the source of shock. Make sure it's for potable water and wras approved.

thanks
I will obtain and fit soon
in the meantime how likely is it that judder will damage pipes
and will a quarter turn open stopcock starve any device such as modern boiler (everything does actually flow fine)
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back