Mixer tap pressure too high

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've fitted new mixer taps to a new bath and basin, they are the waterfall type. However, the pressure is far too high, such that when turned on fully the water will reach the other end of the bath! 

I am aware that fitting ball restrictor will reduce the flow but not the pressure and will likely create a lot of noise. Pressure reducing valves appear to be quite expensive and would add problems because I need pressure maintained for a mixer shower.

Is there a simpler, cheaper solution to this problem?

It's mains cold with combi boiler, all 15mm.

Thank you very much for any advice.

Sponsored Links
By the sounds of it your pressure is very high (happens, we had about 8 bar in the old house which was too much for the thermostatic shower) Lots of things seem to be designed for max 5 bar (been looking at lots of taps, showers etc. lately)

Even reduced down to say 3 bar it should be plenty of pressure for the shower as well (typical shower pumps are 2 bar or so)

Restricting the flow might help, but will just slow things down and maybe a poorer shower.You need to bite the bullet and by a PRV, can be expensive, so shop around, you can get some cheaper ones on Ebay. Worst that will happen is it fails and you have to replace them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back