Noisy basin mono tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a cheap basin mixer tap but returned it because it was noisy when the tap was fully open and even more noisy when it was only half open. I then purchased a brand new Bristan basin mixer, with larger bore size on the tails than those on the cheap tap. The Bristan tap was also much heavier than the cheaper tap. So I was hopeful that it would not make a noise - but it still does!

I have a combi boiler, which I believe provides a high pressure water supply? And indeed, I do get a really good shower from my standard, deck mounted bath mixer tap/shower :) But this tap does NOT make a noise when water turned on.

So do all basin mono taps make a noise when turned on? Or can something be done to quieten them? I've read that turning down the water pressure at the boiler's regulating valve might quieten the tap but surely that would also reduce the pressure to my shower, which would be a shame :(

Sponsored Links
If you buy a LP tap, it's more likely to be quieter.

It's more of a problem these days with everyone using mains water in their bathroom, with ceramic mono mixers. All those small channels at med pressure make for a noisy tap. They all used to be LP individual/screw down taps with the bathroom fed by a cold water cistern so much quieter.

Can you identify exactly where the noise is being generated? Is it at the tap or actually in the supply pipework/valve?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back