Noisy basin mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm new here, and I hope someone can help as this is driving me insane :confused:

We've recently had a new bathroom suite fitted. As part of the new suite we've got a new basin that has a mixer tap. The mixer tap is extremely noisy when the tap is fully opened and even louder when half opened, for both hot and cold. I've been looking around and this seems to be quite a common problem with cheap taps. We have isolator valves on each input pipe, and I have tried adjusting the valve to lower the flow but the tap is still extremely noisy.

Would someone be able to recommend a decent replacement quiet mixer tap? Or any other tips on how to reduce the noise, I've looked at Pressure Reducing Valves but I'm not sure if this is the right way to go.

We have a mains fed combi boiler, and the pressure shows as 1.5. The tap is fed from two plastic pipes that connect to copper isolator valves and the connect to the tap.

Thanks,
Dave

Sponsored Links
The 1.5 bar pressure shown on your boiler is the pressure in your heating system, not mains/cold/hot tap pressure.

Bristan, Deva, Grohe and Pegler are respected tap brands.

the 1.5 displayed on your boiler is heating circuit, not hot water. and try a bristan mixer.

Sponsored Links
if yours is a flashy, sorry, i mean stylish, Italian import, it might have tails the size of pencils and tiny restrictive internal waterways.

UK designed taps are usually built to accomodate our lower pressure, with wider waterways. I have always been very happy with Bristan taps. If you look online you will find discount suppliers.

yes, that supplier has good products at good prices, they do sell the other good brands as well

BTW pop-up wastes always eventually leak IME

Thanks again for all of your help, it's sounding like a new tap is the way to go. Can I ask a couple more questions, before I test people's patience :D

Is the size of the base of the tap standard for most taps, or does it vary between basin sizes?

The basin is housed in a vanity unit\cupbord type thing, do you think I will be able to change the tap without disturbing the unit? I've checked and the gap does seem big enough to get a spanner\grips in, but I'm not sure if a tap can be changed in restricted space.

Is there anything to watch out for when changing a tap (apart from leaks :D). I'm quite good with DIY, but I will get a plumber if its not as easy as it looks.

Thanks

Thanks again for all of your help, it's sounding like a new tap is the way to go. Can I ask a couple more questions, before I test people's patience :D

Is the size of the base of the tap standard for most taps, or does it vary between basin sizes?

The basin is housed in a vanity unit\cupbord type thing, do you think I will be able to change the tap without disturbing the unit? I've checked and the gap does seem big enough to get a spanner\grips in, but I'm not sure if a tap can be changed in restricted space.

Is there anything to watch out for when changing a tap (apart from leaks :D). I'm quite good with DIY, but I will get a plumber if its not as easy as it looks.

Thanks

Basin monobloc mixer taps don't vary too much in base size and should fit your basin. You can always contact the maufacturers for dimensions to check. The hole in the basin that the tap passes through will be standard size.

One of these will help you undo the fixing nut underneath.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0006JJS1C/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9556681509&ref=asc_df_B0006JJS1C

If you're using flexi tap tails, make sure the o ring is in place, don't over-tighten where the tail screws into the base of the tap. Also make sure the flexi tails aren't twisted or kinked with tap installed.

I bought a cheap basin mixer tap, which I returned because the water flow was noisy when it was fully on and even noisier when half on. I then purchased a brand new UK Bristan basin mixer tap, whose tails have larger bore sizes - but the water flow is still just as noisy! I have a combi boiler, which I believe produces high pressure water and which means I get a really good shower from a standard deck mounted mixer tap/shower. This bath tap does NOT make a noise. But noisy mono taps seem to be a very common problem, judging by the number of posts citing it on the net. But so far, I have not found a solution?

Are the isolation valves to your tap fully open or are they only open a small amount? Opening them a small amount can cause a lot of noise.

Hi leakydave. I believe the isolation valves are fully open? The are the type with a straight slots, which are both straight, in line with the copper pipes...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back