Pump needed or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I would like some advise about water pressure.
I have a gravity feed water system in a 3 bed house with a hot water cylinder in the airing cuboard. I live alone so its only one person using the stuff.
I have refitted the kitchen, ensuite and cloakroom with new taps etc.

The ensuite shower room which has a sink and a gravity feed shower. the water flow through the shower and the mono basin tap is pretty slow.( The shower and basin mono tap had a working pressure of 0.2}

The water through the kitchen taps is pretty poor ( tap is mono, but again had a 0.2 working pressure) Question also about the mono taps in the ensuite and Kitchen, I fitted isoloting valves and then connected the flexible tap tails to the isolating valves. The isolating valves were NOT full bore, but the ones with a ball and about an 8mm hole. Would these reduce pressure? because the flexi tails are small bore I did not think it would matter.

The downstairs cloakroom, the water flow is OK in the cloakroom

Im in the process of refitting the bathroom with Bath shower mixer and sink,
the old bath shower mixer water flow is fine and the 2 tap basin is good too. Do I need to go down to a 0.1 working pressure bath shower mixer
and should I stick with a 2 tap basin for better water flow?

Can I fit a pump somewhere to increase the pressure through the whole house, if so what sort of pump or should the correct taps with FULL bore Isolating valves improve what I have?

Water pressure all over the house was acceptable before I changed all the taps, I havn;t made any big changes to the plumbing.

Can anyone recommend a good low pressure bath shower mixer and basin taps that don;t cost a fortune?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The isolating valves were NOT full bore, but the ones with a ball and about an 8mm hole. Would these reduce pressure?
not pressure but the flow.

because the flexi tails are small bore I did not think it would matter.
even with full bore yes the flexis would of restricted it.

the old bath shower mixer water flow is fine and the 2 tap basin is good too. Do I need to go down to a 0.1 working pressure bath shower mixer
and should I stick with a 2 tap basin for better water flow?
stick as low as you can.
trouble with alot of mixer taps nowdays they are cartridge style and are really only suitable for mains pressure.

Can I fit a pump somewhere to increase the pressure through the whole house, if so what sort of pump or should the correct taps with FULL bore Isolating valves improve what I have?

you can fit a whole house pump suitable for showers, taps etc.
single taps are ok but as said mixer taps now tend to be mains pressure and have flexi hose connections.
as in single taps can still be fed by copper pipes so no restrictions.

Thanks for the advise.
If I fit a whole house pump would this be OK for the ensuite shower? the cold water comes direct from the water tank in the loft and the hot water from the cylinder.

Thanks for the advise.
If I fit a whole house pump would this be OK for the ensuite shower? the cold water comes direct from the water tank in the loft and the hot water from the cylinder.

it'll do both hot/cold to every outlet.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for sounding silly but how would the whole house pump run the ensuite shower the cold pipe goes straight from the loft tank?

Sorry for sounding silly but how would the whole house pump run the ensuite shower the cold pipe goes straight from the loft tank?

then you cut the pipe do a feed from the loft tank straight to the pump.
then from pump and join the pipe you cut feeding the ensuite shower.

then the hot comes from a flange on the cylinder to pump.
then from pump onto the original pipe feeding the hot outlets.

Thank you, I see what your saying, one last question then,
Is there more then one inlet on the whole house pumps (So I can connect cold for shower and cold for the rest of the house) and the hot inlet? 3 inlets.
I have never seen a whole house pump.
What size pump can I get away with? like I said I live alone

SALAMANDER

no they have 2 inlets hot/cold 2 outlets hot/cold.
you have to join the outlets together before the pump, ie shower, taps etc.

Thank you again for your reply.
I think I have it now.
Let me see,
I cut the shower pipe from the loft tank and cap it off. I then take the cold down feed from the tank and connect it to the inlet on the pump, then from the cold outlet on the pump I continue the cold on to the cold outlets and branch back to the shower cold in the loft.
The hot from the cylinder gets feed through the pump and continues on to the hot outlets
Do I have it right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back