Higher Watt Electric Shower vs. Raising Cold Water Cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our bathroom we currently have an eletric shower above the bath. The shower does not have a lot of power and therefore my wife does not like to use it. We are wanting to install a shower which has increased power.

From the reading I have done I am currently thinking we have 2 options:

1) Raise the height of the cold water cistern and fit a mixer shower. The cistern is currently situated in a cupboard directly above the hot water cylinder. The shower head is approx the same height as the middle of the cold water cistern therefore from what I have read we could not simply install a mixer shower using the pipes which supply the bath taps. Also I think we would need to not only move the cistern into the loft but also build a raised platform for it to get the height for a mixer shower to function well.

2) The electric shower we currently have is an older model of the Triton Jade 8.5kW like this one: http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...y?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=116237. We could buy a shower with increased wattage e.g. 10.5kW or 10.8kW and possibly a built-in pump or a separate pump. This would hopefully increase the flow of water.

Option 2 seems like the easier option, however I have not convinced myself it will increase the power yet. I was wondering what opinions people had on:

a) Would we see a noticeable difference between an 8.5kW shower and a 10.5kW shower ?
b) What restrictions will we need to take into account with fitting an electric shower with a built-in pump i.e. location in relation to the cold water cistern and hot water cylinder ?

Sponsored Links
Neither. Both. Whatever.

What I mean is, a mixture of 1 and 2 would be my choice in that situation.
Raise the CWSC and fit a twin impellor pump.

Electric showers with built-in pump only help if your mains water pressure is cr@p. What is it like?

The water pressure for the bath taps is fine. Flies out of both the hot and cold taps.

A plumber/neighbour I discussed this with suggested the theory that a higher wattage electric shower would allow the water to flow faster as it may currently be restricted by the speed at which it can heat the water as it flows through. If I turn the shower on cold it runs quickly, it's only when it is turned to hot the flow slows right down.

I liked the plumbers theory but wondered if in practice/other people's experience a higher wattage electric shower would make an improvement to the hot water flow?

The water from your bath taps comes from your tank. The electric shower would be connected to your mains. Check the cold tap in your kitchen to determine your flowrate on your mains.
You will get a lot better shower if you raise the tank and install a power shower unit or pump to your existing cold and hot supplies coming from your tank compared to an electric shower. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the info so far everyone.

Had a quick look at negative head pumps and they are pricey.

Thinking I might have to go for moving the cold water cistern into the loft.

Does anyone have ideas for what the raised structure should be like e.g. In order to be strong enough to hold 25 litres of water? Any pictures or plans of existing ones would be great.

Does anyone have ideas for what the raised structure should be like e.g. In order to be strong enough to hold 25 litres of water? Any pictures or plans of existing ones would be great.

What type of shower are you planning on going for when you raise the cws ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back